• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Denied purchasing a gun at WalMart because I stated...

Until the minor turns to a major everything is yours remember lee an Womack with the problems cause she was a minor same deal then you can legal give or trade for the lint in his pockets once he is eighteen

Hey folks first time poster long time lurker. It's nice to be out of the shadows so to speak. I wanted to share an experience I had not long ago in this discussion. I went to a larger gun shop recently with my wife. We had collectively been looking for a new carry gun for the Mrs. We had finally decided on the S&W M&P 40c. This particular shop had a good deal on the model she wanted. My local shop where I have been almost exclusively buying guns since I turned 18 couldn't come close and encouraged me to buy this one as the deal was rather good. We went into the shop and walked directly over to the display case and I asked the salesman a few questions then asked him to box it up. She presented her concealed carry permit and he refused sale. He wouldn't sell her the handgun unless I presented my I.D./permit. I was very surprised. Even more surprised at the attitude of the young man who insisted the gun was for me. After a little pissing match I flashed him my permit and walked out the door. We went that same afternoon to my old faithful shop and paid the higher price.

Hey folks first time poster long time lurker. It's nice to be out of the shadows so to speak. I wanted to share an experience I had not long ago in this discussion. I went to a larger gun shop recently with my wife. We had collectively been looking for a new carry gun for the Mrs. We had finally decided on the S&W M&P 40c. This particular shop had a good deal on the model she wanted. My local shop where I have been almost exclusively buying guns since I turned 18 couldn't come close and encouraged me to buy this one as the deal was rather good. We went into the shop and walked directly over to the display case and I asked the salesman a few questions then asked him to box it up. She presented her concealed carry permit and he refused sale. He wouldn't sell her the handgun unless I presented my I.D./permit. I was very surprised. Even more surprised at the attitude of the young man who insisted the gun was for me. After a little pissing match I flashed him my permit and walked out the door. We went that same afternoon to my old faithful shop and paid the higher price.
it is not uncommon for this to happen. if i worked a gun shop i would be concerned about it as well. straw purchases are serious business. if i go into a store with my wife looking for a gun, then me and her will go over the gun for a while, and i will talk with her, and we will have a conversation right there at the counter about how well the gun fits her, councerns she may have with it, and so on. but of course, i also only do business with gun stores who know me and my wife by name, and who even know my son well enough to joke around with him. (tc outdoors, statesboro)

Talked to Mike at Georgia gun store. He told me I could purchase from him even if I told him it was a gift. He told me that as long as I was purchasing with my own money and it is a gift to ANYONE, it's legal.

I have purchased several guns and accessories from ga gun store. Great guys to deal with and they're local.

Last edited:
straight from ATF's FAQ -

Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

dont say anything other than "how much" and "ill take it".

You don't have to lie. Look at post #36. Anyone who tells you you can't buy a gun for gift is just ignorant, and shouldn't be in the gun business. A "straw man" purchase is where someone other than you furnishes the money for YOU to buy a gun.

You may recall that several years ago there was a dust up because Sara Brady wanted to buy gun as a gift for her minor son. Even that was legal.

Back
Top Bottom