• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Denied purchasing a gun at WalMart because I stated...

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
...the gun was going to be a gift. I completely and totally understand if they felt that I was criminal or intended on using the gun for illegal purposes, but why deny if mentioned as a gift. I know this may backfire in so many different ways, especially since the sales people do not know me or my intentions and when in doubt, do not sell. No ill feelings, as I understand their situation and probably would have done the same thing.

The law states I cannot knowingly buy a gun for someone that cannot legally own a gun (at least from what I know, and I could be wrong). Understood and agree. NO problem. So then, how can I buy a gun as a gift for a 12 year old who wants to start target shooting, espcecially if the guns are marketed as a "Youth" gun. No state in this country will allow a 12 year old to walk in and buy a gun over the counter, correct? So, as a father, how can I buy this gun legally, and honestly saying it is a gift for a 12 year old? Or should I flat out lie, and say it is for me?

IF you are the father/guardian to the 12 yr old, it's YOUR call.
you don't have to tell them what they don't need to know. Go back and get it, this time it's YOURS!'

oh, and welcome to the ODT :thumb:

As in, was I personally there to buy, yes? Will I be the primary user, no, my 12 year old will be.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I gave too much information.

IF you are the father/guardian to the 12 yr old, it's YOUR call.
don't have to tell them what they don't need to know. Go back and get it, this time it's YOURS!'

oh, and welcome to the ODT :thumb:

Go in there next time, "I" want to buy "me" that gun. What you decide to do with it after that is NONE of their business.

As a father of 3, I don't know that would actually give total ownership to any of my kids. Aside from shooting, I would maintain primary possession of the weapon for safe keeping, so in essence, it would be mine. Therefore, I'm not lying on the form.

I had a somewhat similar situation at A sporting goods store recently. They'll remain anonymous, but I went in to buy my wife a SA XD45 that she'd been eyeballing. As I filled out the paperwork, I told the guy it was for my wife, who has a CCP herself, as a gift. He said he couldn't sell me the pistol, looked me in the eyes and said very clearly that I was welcome to come back when I was ready to make a purchase for myself. So I walked to the restroom, came back, and started over. As he walked me out of the store, he said "Enjoy the pistol." I said "She will" an he laughed.

Back
Top Bottom