• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Denied purchasing a gun at WalMart because I stated...

It is the ignorance of the sales people. It is perfectly legal to buy a gun as a gift. My wife has bought guns at three different LGS and told them she was buying them as a gift for me. Never had a problem. The only thing one store did was print on the BOS that it was bought as a gift. As a matter of fact they even asked her if she needed ammo or other accessories for the guns she bought. Walmart employees are not trained on how to sell guns, the person you deal with might be from house wares or electronics department or a temporary worker hired for a seasonal rush. I had one Walmart gun guru tell me he couldn't sell me any ammo unless I had a carry permit. I thought he might be a transplant from a state that requires an F.O.I.D. card to purchase ammo. I just thanked him and told him he was wrong.

Just open the form to page 4 and show the sales person the ATF explaination:

i45.tinypic.com_10ylvzp.jpg

This.

I tried to buy a pistol at a VERY VERY highly rated gun store here on the ODT and I was denied when I said it was a gift. I was told I could buy gift certificates from them and give those as a gift.

My kid knows every firearm I buy is "his." I have to feed it, I have to clean it, sometimes I get to shoot it, but it is his. I just get to keep it till he puts me in a home. As for gun store employees, there are at least a couple who... As for Wally World, I can't say...

You can purchase a firearm as a gift for anybody you want(wife,child,parent,friend) the only requirement is that it must be gift for which you will not be reimbursed and the person you intend to gift it to is not a prohibited person. A lot of larger dealers will kill a transaction when you say it's a gift simply to insure that there's no way the ATF can say straw purchase but there is no reason for it.

To the OP I'm sorry for your bad experience and I hope you find a more knowledgable and helpful place to make your firearm purchase :thumb:

I think this is a matter of not using some common sense and taking things to liberal. Legally your son cannot own a gun until hes 18, so while you may have the intention of "giving" it to him, he is not the owner so said gun remains yours.

...the gun was going to be a gift. I completely and totally understand if they felt that I was criminal or intended on using the gun for illegal purposes, but why deny if mentioned as a gift. I know this may backfire in so many different ways, especially since the sales people do not know me or my intentions and when in doubt, do not sell. No ill feelings, as I understand their situation and probably would have done the same thing.

The law states I cannot knowingly buy a gun for someone that cannot legally own a gun (at least from what I know, and I could be wrong). Understood and agree. NO problem. So then, how can I buy a gun as a gift for a 12 year old who wants to start target shooting, espcecially if the guns are marketed as a "Youth" gun. No state in this country will allow a 12 year old to walk in and buy a gun over the counter, correct? So, as a father, how can I buy this gun legally, and honestly saying it is a gift for a 12 year old? Or should I flat out lie, and say it is for me?

My wife couldn't buy me a gun at a gun store one time... they are VERY careful about the staw man laws, even if it comes across as stupid to you and me :)

Yeah, even if it's a little Chipmunk 22 in pink, it's for you...haha

Back
Top Bottom