• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

deer in distress

I'd chance a ticket to stop an animal from suffering any day or night. If I did get a ticket, I would fight it for sure.
NOTE: I live in rural GA.

The right thing is often the hard thing.

I grew up on a farm and an injured animal beyond the help of a vet was put down quickly as a humane act.

50 yards from the road, a no-no in DNR world. Humane kill and take it home? A logical and humane answer.
A knife works almost as well as a handgun in this case. BTDT when not an animal I want to eat.

As an LEO and hunter I have never had a problem with someone putting down an injured deer as long as it is in a safe manner. Yes I could ticket you. But I haven't yet in 15 years. But having said that all the cases I remeber have been in the county and mostly at night. If I were a citizen I would think twice though about doing it in a populated area. You never know what kind of officer will arrive on scene.

For what its worth, I've done this twice in the past. But I'm not advising any to do it or not.
Like many things related to firearms its important to know what the law is to be able to make your own decision.
Taking an educated risk is often better than an ignorant one.

As the Officer above confirmed my previous statement that it often comes down to officer discretion.
If one decides to take the shot, they had better make 100% sure of a good backstop, passing vehicles, nearby pedestrians, etc.
Bullets can travel a long way after a ricochet. If an innocent person is hit, or even their vehicle, serious criminal charges could result even If no one is hurt.
As we say in our classes,"Every bullet that leaves the barrel potentially has an attorney attached to it."

I recently referred two young men to an attorney who were just "shooting some in the woods" & their bullets "supposedly" struck someone's empty, abandoned vehicle. My attorney friend took it easy on them feewise but the plaintiff got a $2500 judgment... which was better than the $7000 initial settlement request.

Last edited:
so... if you hit a deer and put it down or the impact kills it... is it worth salvaging the meat (at least for ground) or is it pretty fubar? I mean... I feel like I should get something in return for it destroying my car:hungry:

so... if you hit a deer and put it down or the impact kills it... is it worth salvaging the meat (at least for ground) or is it pretty fubar? I mean... I feel like I should get something in return for it destroying my car:hungry:
Depends on the hit... I've seen them hit in the head with little or no internal damage and I've seen them RUN'd over where you didn't even want to check for internal damage.:hungry:

Back
Top Bottom