• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decided on Peking Duck this Thanksgiving

Tikker

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
Turned out amazing, even my wife who doesn't eat the skin had only bones left on her plate. Only hassle was the amount of smoke that filled the house during the cooking process.

Used this Link for the recipe, only change I made was for the coating applied to the duck I didn't want to use the Chinese Maltose. Instead I used molasses cut with a little water and apple cider vinegar. I also coated the exterior with Chinese 5 spice before putting in.

If I do this again (if I don't mind the smokey house), I'll keep it in the fridge for 48 hours rather than the 24 hours I did this time.

Thinking of making a soup with the leftovers.

IMG_20221125_191807.jpg

I love Peking duck. Never considered making it on my own. Thought it had to hang and cure for an extended time. Might have to give this a try sometime.

Same here, we usually got it in past in Atlanta off Buford Hwy. But we don't travel there much anymore, so I was happy that it tasted just like what they had.

It was time consuming for sure, between pouring boiling water over the body of it to separate the fat from the skin, pulling out the feather stubs with tweezers, & the smokey house, it's a real pain. But the results were much better than expected. If my kitchen was closed off so I could just open the window I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, or something outside if I had a cooking area.

I even tried to control the smoke by changing out the drip pan 3 times & reducing the temp at the end, but it didn't help much.

Back
Top Bottom