• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

changing vehicle computer

jaf1

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
193   0
Reaction score
Already replaced mine,but a know it all is trying to tell me I could have got a junkyard one instead,but I was told if VIN and mileage don't match,it won't pass emissions check,

LOL. No.

It probably won't pass emissions if you drive it down for the test right after plugging the brain in because it takes a while for the computer to build up an average of the sensor data and adjust the mapping to it. But after a while it should be... as good as its going to get based upon the condition of the rest of the engine.

On second read, he might mean a paperwork no-go if he has an odometer discrepancy because of the new ICM. But there should be a check box for that...

Replaced mine,no problems at all ,was told by mechanic I know that if vehicle info didn't match it would be a problem,ordered mine off the Web ,programed my info for $249,got it in 3 days,NAPA was over $300 ,7-10 day wait and then had to have it programed,that's what got me wondering about that,if it didn't matter, then you could just get one from the parts store and slap it on.

Already replaced mine,but a know it all is trying to tell me I could have got a junkyard one instead,but I was told if VIN and mileage don't match,it won't pass emissions check,
really the only reason you need to have one matching the VIN is for programming to sensors..some vehicles have different emissions packages per location in the country..its good practice to have them match to prevent drivabilty problems

Back
Top Bottom