• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Call me a Fudd

That's just part of the 1911 "Battleworn" finish. Courtesy of some G.I.

i982.photobucket.com_albums_ae304_OD1911A1_59898977.jpg

I can't argue that point. It seems odd to discuss it today with Mr. Glock dying earlier. So what does one thing have to do with the other? Well...when I (or maybe I should say "We" ) were growing up THE tactical pistol was the 1911. The Hi Power was a close second but the 1911 was IT. Kinda like the tactical rifle was the M1 Carbine. Or at least it was for ME and all my friends. And then came the G17 back around 84 or 85. Still remember the first ads I saw for them in The Shotgun News.
Point here ( I guess) is that like I've heard several gun channel guys say , ( basically) today's version of reliable, accurate, etc. is a LOT different than when all those old surplus guns were new and or in service. I guess those old guns taught most of us to deal with random issues that popped up. It's kinda like learning to shift gears for yourself and learning how to roll off an old car/truck with a dead battery. It was a pain in the ass but you could still get it going if you wanted to bad enough.
I've told more than a few people that Glocks are fine by me but they're the Toyota Camry of the gun world. Perfect but also kinda boring. I may be partial here but I believe MY generation (Gen X) had appreciation for the 1911 and deserved one just as soon as we could scrape the money together. I mean damn, it was Thomas Magnum's pistol and he was in 'Nam. But seriously I think the 1911 catches a lot of undeserved **** about reliability and accuracy from younger folks that don't have much of any experience with them. Plus, today's 1911s are a good bit different from decades ago.
After thinking about it, I think I'd change the age to 45. That's a good medium. As far as reliability, I've only had one 1911 that just wouldn't work right. Everything else always worked well. I knew an MP that bought his own 1911 back in the early 80s because as he put it, the weapons he had access to were worn out. I've also had my life depend on the Glock. I don't like a polymer weapon, but it does fit the niche. If I'd had the option to pick anything I wanted, I'd been hard pressed to pick another weapon for what I was using it for. In a war time scenario I wouldn't want a poly pistol. To many things that could destroy that weapon. The AR has done fine, but if your backup fails.......Yes, Tom Selleck is a Vietnam vet. I can say that the standard Glock is as accurate as a standard 1911, at least in close quarters. I have no idea how well a full blown competition Glock shoots. I'd have to think it would be as good or so as a full comped 1911

I never knew until recently, maybe 10 years ago, that this "idiot mark" was something to be avoided.
I used to think it was like the line scratched into the receiver on many models of guns with a long-throw safety lever that would ride across the blued steel frame. Part and parcel of how the gun works.
Now I know better.

Boomers cringing at “idiot marks” is on the same level as millennials cringing over the word “moist”.

It really just illustrates that folks spend too much time on the internet nodding their heads like drones at their favorite influencers and then parroting someone else’s thoughts.

Group think at its worst. Go shoot your guns and quit worrying about knicks and scuffs or wear marks. They’re meant to be used, not kept in a glass case. It’s like crying about a hammer with a mark on it. It’s tool for Pete’s sake.
You could have just said "Screw you guys, it happens". We'd have understood.

That's just part of the 1911 "Battleworn" finish. Courtesy of some G.I.

View attachment 6658600
I was about to say it was probably issued to some 18 year old kid in WWI. He might have been cleaning it in a trench when the gas alarm sounded and had to quickly reassemble it. Makes a better story don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom