• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet casters

So today I intentionally tried to make some softer bullets by tossing some SOWW I’d been segregating from my wheel weight acquisitions and a few ingots of some old sheet lead I made a couple years ago. I’m casting these in order to try and use them in a .357 Benjamin Bulldog pellet gun that’s in the mail. I’ve had a .22 PCP air gun for a few years now and wanted to play with a (relatively) inexpensive big bore pellet gun. It’s not all that powerful but is roughly equal to a standard pressure .38 special. Based on my pencil test... these should be sitting around a 6-7 BHN (6B won’t mark them at 4-5 BHN (same as pure lead)... a 5B barely will at 7-8 BHN... a 4B scores them easily at 9 BHN). I’ll check them again after they rest a bit and see if they change a bit.

I just added a touch of tin to let them fill out and pop... but we’re talking a few inches of 50-50 solder. I’ve only used a hand pump for my .22 for the couple years I’ve had it but snagged a cheap 4500# pump and will eventually snag a carbon fiber bottle. It’s a direction I figured I’d eventually go with my casting that’s finally coming to fruition.

These are a mix of 358–105-SWCs that drop around .3585-359 and I’ll size down to .357. The others are my first run of 356-125-2Rs that look to have dropped at a perfect (for this application) .357. I’ve got a lot more reading and playing around with lube vs no lube... and if I do... what to use and whether the lube itself will build up in the gun. It seems like there’s no one answer as a lot of folks have had different experiences. Anyways... it’ll be my next thing to try out.

I’ve always liked pellet guns a lot and this gives me a path to shoot essentially for free (albeit with a large initial investment... in the realm of $1k for gun+pump) with my ability to cast my own and pack my own air. I’ll likely make a 2nd bullet catcher box to keep my soft lead and my harder lead segregated the COWWs I think will just be too hard even air dropped. I do still have some of this softer lead set aside and am hoping it turns out well.

FF2CC4FD-ADB8-44E9-B4C0-B72745048C44.jpeg
D631667D-3CF7-4E1C-BAC8-308964E2CE5A.jpeg

Well... last night I threw on a cheap scope I had in my “cheap scope bin” (I need to get a decent scope) and did rough sight in about a half dozen shots and managed this at 20 yards (my initial sight in)

2862B4B7-C54F-4C27-9032-1D9FC48A9E52.jpeg

Backed out to 50 yards. Couldn’t ever get all 3 to touch in a 3 shot group but shot a few like this.

DC15431A-4493-4F5E-B8CB-9B689F1BCDC6.jpeg

Gun shot well I though. As to the cast bullets. I thought the SWCs shot a bit better than the .356 RN bullets that dropped around .357 from a few I measured... but I probably only shot maybe 2 dozen shots that outing. I could get them all in the bullseye at 20 but they’d never quite one-hole (I know, a SWC makes a nice big clean hole... but the RNs just shot wider) The main thing is there didn’t appear to be any leading in the barrel after having shot those cast bullets which were unlubed. Most everything was a first on this one... new gun... junk scope... 2 bullets never used... me shooting the gun which I need to get a better feel for the trigger and where it breaks... first time using a bottle filled from a HP pump... so literally everything is a variable. But, if the gun went bang... hit the paper and the barrel stayed clean, I’m very happy with the first outing. Next time out I’ll likely just stick to the SWCs... get a decent scope and work on it for awhile. Once I get it sighted, I can start chronoing and tweak the power adjuster and start seeing what each one likes. I also haven’t hand sorted these bullets by weight and they do have a bit of variation. Not much for plinking but certainly not going to one hole at a great distance as they drop around 110... but may vary +/- 2 grain from there, with over half w/in a grain of 110.

I have also found the semi wad cutters and truncated cones fly better than round nose. I don't even cast rn any more. I'm even recasting the rn I have to cast tc.

I got that RN mold to try and load some 9mm that’d feed easy and be relatively fool(me)-proof. I just figured since they were dropping at .357 they were worth a try. Might still be... but, my first take on them is kind of mediocre. Then again, I shot so few of them it might of been on me. Those 105-358 SWCs are sweet little bullets and my 38s and 357s love them. I’m not surprised cast soft the pellet gun did well with them. I have a 158 SWC and RNFP I can try... but untuned, I think the pellet gun is going to struggle throwing them at good velocity. Tuned up it should be in the heavy standard pressure/lighter +P .38 realm of power I expect. Now it’s probably like a weak standard pressure .38/.380.

The 125 tc is what I cast the most of. I have never had a problem feeding. Are you powder coating? I will never go back to lube for the boolits. I run all my powder coated boolits through a lee push through sizer. Just to make everything more consistent.

Back
Top Bottom