• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building an AR question

I stopped adding the cost of my last build when I got to $2,000. (I even bought most of the parts on sale) Lets say I was to sell it. Do you think it should be less than that Colt 6920?

This. My first build is still in my safe because I know I will not ever get the money out of it that is in it. I stopped counting at $1300 cause I was going to be sick if I didn't! LOL
It's all relative though. I had one that I just threw together and sold for $475 for two reasons. One, I had no idea how much I had in it because many of the parts I traded for and had laying around for a while and just forgot how much I had in them. And two, I wanted someone that could normally not afford a solid AR, but wanted one, to have one. Got to be honest though, had I fired it before I agreed to sale (sail, cell, sell) it, it would still be in my safe. I actually liked it better than my first build! LOL

If the parts cost $600-700 and you want one just like it for $600-700 then buy the parts yourself and build it yourself.
But most people can't build one that runs, and if someone puts one together he should be able to get something for his labor. How much is up to the buyer.
A Colt 6920 cost probably $300 or probably much less in parts to the company. But you won't buy one for that, you will pay for the time and expense of the labor and overhead.
If I build you a motor I ain't doing it for the cost of parts, I doubt Captain Dave will work on your AC for the cost of the parts, you won't buy your bread at the store for the price of the wheat.
Expecting to get anything for the price of the parts is as unrealistic as your boss expecting you to work for your cost of fuel and food.

Would someone please explain why a "built" ar from different odd parts is superior to a company's manufactured one such as a Colt LE 6920 or a Ruger AR556. I just don't get it, they also usually sell for more as well. I saw one that was for sell and the guy stated he threw it together with some spare parts he had lying around and it was $1000+.
Totally confused.

I don't know that the word "superior" is the right one, although it IS possible depending on the builder and the parts.

As for price, there are top tier parts that cost half as much as the rifles you listed. A good rail can run 3, 4, 5 hundred or more, BY ITSELF. Price out a top tier barrel as well...easily 4-500 or more. So now you have 2 parts. A barrel and a rail. And you're already $1k deep.

Point is, there's a slew of builds that can very easily cost above and beyond a nice off-the-shelf AR, even if it's a decent brand...Colt, DD, etc.

If the parts cost $600-700 and you want one just like it for $600-700 then buy the parts yourself and build it yourself.
But most people can't build one that runs, and if someone puts one together he should be able to get something for his labor. How much is up to the buyer.
A Colt 6920 cost probably $300 or probably much less in parts to the company. But you won't buy one for that, you will pay for the time and expense of the labor and overhead.
If I build you a motor I ain't doing it for the cost of parts, I doubt Captain Dave will work on your AC for the cost of the parts, you won't buy your bread at the store for the price of the wheat.
Expecting to get anything for the price of the parts is as unrealistic as your boss expecting you to work for your cost of fuel and food.
You also get taxed on that income you make building a motor or installing an AC system.

Yeah, I don't think OP is referring to a dealer who assembled a rifle from good parts and is selling it for a profit.

I think he is referring to used rifles that get listed on here for as "custom" or "built". Someone else's time to assembled a parts rifle is their loss on a sale, not my problem.

Just my opinion, but why would anyone pay MRSP pricing for a parts rifle + the extra for Joe Schmos labor on a used gun? More often than not, it will be assembled incorrectly anyways.

Yeah, I don't think OP is referring to a dealer who assembled a rifle from good parts and is selling it for a profit.

I think he is referring to used rifles that get listed on here for as "custom" or "built". Someone else's time to assembled a parts rifle is their loss on a sale, not my problem.

Just my opinion, but why would anyone pay MRSP pricing for a parts rifle + the extra for Joe Schmos labor on a used gun? More often than not, it will be assembled incorrectly anyways.
That could be or he might know exactly what he's doing. Humnnnn sounds like some manufactures. LOL

Like I said if you want to gather and put together one for the price of parts then do so.
Bitching about what someone sells something, that they own, is weak.

If someone can dictate what your item is worth, then you don't really own it.

That could be or he might know exactly what he's doing. Humnnnn sounds like some manufactures. LOL

Like I said if you want to gather and put together one for the price of parts then do so.
*****ing about what someone sells something, that they own, is weak.

If someone can dictate what your item is worth, then you don't really own it.
OP wasn't bitching about it. He asked for clarification as it seems to happen from time to time. I know you have to read between the lines about these pasture topics, but I thought that's why The Pasture exists...to complain?

Back
Top Bottom