• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When listing an AR on ODT, why would you list it as a M16?

If it doesn’t have a tax stamp it's not a M16.
Wrong, I built this, it has no tax stamp and it is technically a Model M16A4
Screenshot_20240128-083935.png

Folks cannot necessarily call it whatever they want in a listing on the ODT.

For instance, listing a home-build on an SCT Mfg frame as a “Glock 19 Gen 3” is a no-go. Anyone reading that would naturally take that to mean it’s a Gen-u-wine Gee-lock. We’re fine with “Glock 19 Gen 3 clone”, or anything that actually mentions SCT Mfg.

We prefer that folks go by what would be listed on the 4473, although it can get confusing at times.

I‘m fine with someone selling their pump 12ga as a “CZ”, because that’s what’s boldly stamped on the receiver, when actually it’s made in Turkey by Akkar, for CZ, and CZ-USA is the importer.

Springfield Armory does not manufacture the XD series of pistols. They’re manufactured in Croatia by HS Produkt, and imported into the US by Springfield Armory, Inc. The 4473 would correctly list “HS Produkt” as the manufacturer, and “Springfield Armory, Inc” as the importer. We’re fine with folks calling XD’s a “Springfield”.

If it’s a 10.3”-10.5” 5.56 with a quad rail and FSB, I’m fine with calling it a ”Mk18”, regardless of manufacturer, as that has become common usage. It’s like Coke, Kleenex, and Q-tip.

There are several companies nowadays that cater to the retro build market. I’ve seen lowers whose models are marked as “M16”, “M16A1”, and other variants. Someone would not be incorrect if they listed this lower as an “M16A1”.

IMG_3980.jpeg

Nice $35k gun. We all can’t afford that so for most the only M-16 we will ever have is a clone of the FA version. But yeah sitting in your ivory tower looking down on all the peasants below you can say with impunity that you have a M16 and they don’t.

Nice $35k gun. We all can’t afford that so for most the only M-16 we will ever have is a clone of the FA version. But yeah sitting in your ivory tower looking down on all the peasants below you can say with impunity that you have a M16 and they don’t.
You can have the real thing for way less than 35k

So what about all those AR15s listed for sale that are really PA15s or CM15s, FN15 etc. Even Armalite, who the name AR was coined for/by lists their rifles as M15s. Last I checked it could not legally or technically be an AR15 unless it was made by Colt since they bought the rights and the name from Armalite. I see guns listed all the time as an AR15 when it would actually be listed on a 4473 as something else. Same with AR10. PSA never made an AR15 or AR10 but you see them listed every day. What's the difference? If I have a rifle and on the side it says "M16A4" then it is by law an M16A4 regardless of the FCG. That is much more accurate than all these non AR15s that get listed as AR15s and yet everyone excepts it without question. This is really a non issue as far as I can see.

Back
Top Bottom