• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When listing an AR on ODT, why would you list it as a M16?

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
I often see AR’s dolled up to look like a M16.
IMG_6744.jpeg

I paid my dues and bought the tax stamp. When an AR15 was first a available for sale they were advertised as an AR15 and looked identical to the M16.

Every time I see an M16 for sale on ODT I wonder what the price is, and find out its actually an AR and fail to mention anything like equipped with semi auto fire control group. Unless they have a tax stamp or have manufactured a automatic machine gun in violation of federal laws, it’s never going to be anything other than an AR.

I like calling those old-school AR's "M16 clones" because they look like our military's M16,
and not the M4 carbine (the semi-auto versions of which I have heard called M-4geries).

Let's face it: 20" barreled fixed-buttstock AR rifles are very rare these days, and most people who buy them want one that looks like a U.S. service rifle.

Can we go ahead and discuss how someone with a BCM charging handle, BCG and Muzzle brake on an Anderson lower with a PSA upper gets away with listing their franken-gun as a "BCM AR-15" in the rifle section? We need separate categories for factory built vs homebuilt or sumthin' to stop this madness. It gets old clicking on yet another "Colt AR" post where 90% of the gun is some yard sale BS with a Colt mag..

Can we go ahead and discuss how someone with a BCM charging handle, BCG and Muzzle brake on an Anderson lower with a PSA upper gets away with listing their franken-gun as a "BCM AR-15" in the rifle section? We need separate categories for factory built vs homebuilt or sumthin' to stop this madness. It gets old clicking on yet another "Colt AR" post where 90% of the gun is some yard sale BS with a Colt mag..

I correct those when I see them, or when they’re brought to our attention. That would be a misleading title, and against the Rules.

I correct those when I see them, or when they’re brought to our attention. That would be a misleading title, and against the Rules.
I recently got a F-U from a member for doing just that. If it doesn’t have a tax stamp it's not a M16. He just joined my ignore list.

Another member once questioned my intelligence and suggested I ought to know that based upon the price. I agree that is misleading title, and against the Rules, but it happens rather frequently.

Should we click on the report function as the item has a misleading title?

Back
Top Bottom