• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bill of Sale vs. No Bill of Sale

I'll add this: I think there's a big difference between selling to a total stranger you know nothing about, a brand-new registered user here, versus selling to a person who's been here for years and who is CLEARLY a person who owns multiple guns already, per his posts here. Selling a person his first firearm and making him into a "gun owner" for the first time in his life is more likely to be called negligent than selling a man what will be the 18th gun in his current collection and the 40th firearm he's had over his long lifetime of being interested in guns and shooting.

It has to to with the "but for" prong of "causation" in the legal formula for finding "negligence."

fb09b0add826f63959f6ebabd1ba038a2f16b1a8_2_567x500.jpeg

Do I ask for bill o salz...? No.

Do I think you can ask for one ..? Sure it's your ad and your terms. I'd probably skip buying from you though.

I can see someone asking if I can legally own a firearm in Georgia or asking for me to hold up a GA DL which is fine. They have made a reasonable effort to not sell to a felon.

If you've done 800, 1000 or 1200 deals here, do you really want to dig through all of those in front of the police trying to find the right one??? I'd say they would start asking for your FFL at that point.

Plus I argue, having all of those bill o sailz makes you liable if their personal information is stolen while it was in your possession. I hope you keep it locked up in case your house is broken into or is put at risk in some other way. If you have names, addresses, DL numbers or weapon carry license numbers or.....(gulp) SSNs. I don't want that info in my possession.

"Need"? No. "Want"? Your call.
A carry license isn't required in Georgia and only proves the person was overly eager to pay a tax for a right.
Whatever you decide, GLWS.
But in my eyes it shows you are legal to carry. If you just go on of age, you may just be selling to a felon. I know it's not law anymore to have a carry permit, I would rather pay mine as to have a democrat get in office and shut it down, unless you already have one and are grandfathered in. Things to ponder. A cheap price for peace of the mind.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that you don't need a paper trail if you follow the ODT PM rules. The PMs create a paper trail. The real question, I think, is whether the buyer might want a bill of sale to prove he or she paid for the item and owns it, or in some cases to support a business income tax deduction. So I don't mind giving one if asked, but I don't need one for myself. I keep thinking of an old John Wayne western where a British or Australian man was about to be hanged for stealing cattle. He had a bill of sale to prove he had purchased them. It wasn't about the seller.

I understand some folks would always want a bill of sale on a firearm sale just to cover their rear, but do you ever really need one? If you're the original owner of a firearm and it was transferred to you on a 4473, I guess it'd be a good idea to have a bill of sale with the purchaser's information on there if you sold that firearm since it could be traced back to you in an unfortunate incident. I'm interested in selling a few items that I'm the original purchaser on and didn't know if I needed bills of sale or just make sure the purchaser had a current carry license. Opinions appreciated!
It's your property, do as you wish. If I signed for it, then I'll do a bill of sale. If not, it doesn't matter. There isn't any law that says you have to in the state of Georgia.

But in my eyes it shows you are legal to carry. If you just go on of age, you may just be selling to a felon. I know it's not law anymore to have a carry permit, I would rather pay mine as to have a democrat get in office and shut it down, unless you already have one and are grandfathered in. Things to ponder. A cheap price for peace of the mind.
I know, you know, a GWL does not "prove" the person is not a felon. Assuming it's real, it only proves they went through the county's checks at the time of issue.
The law states you can't KNOWINGLY sell to a prohibited person. That's it. All these others machinations people go through are simply begging to paint themselves in a corner. A Democrat in office isn't going to shut anything down in regards to permitless carry. It will take an act of the legislature. (If you believe a governor has that power, why wouldn't they just declare your GWL null and void?).
The "price" of that permission slip is WAY more than the dollars you surrendered for it.

Back
Top Bottom