• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biggest fish or creature in the wild YOU ever saw ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt whatsoever that fish much bigger than the one in that photo exist in freshwater on this planet. But if we're talking about the Eastern U.S., I believe the world record blue and flathead kitties are both under 150 pounds, and their eyes are nowhere near the size of dinner plates.

Now possibly a Sturgeon? Maybe. Not sure how big their eyes get. The point is, I've heard those stories so many times over my life I would be highly skeptical of any diver encounter with a fish in freshwater on this side of the Mississppi that was so big it had eyes the size of dinner plates and could swallow a grown man whole.

BTW, I'm not doubting you a bit that you saw a monster fish. But the frequency of diver related stories talking about encounters with fish several hundred pounds? Yep, I do doubt all those stoies are true.
I've also always heard the stories being raised around those giant lakes in the hills of TN. But those guys were NAVY divers, these guys are used to going deep and seeing unusual stuff. To see a fish as big as the one the they described could be the story all the others are based off of. as I said, THAT story is documented. What I saw that night I have no idea other than I did see something very big that was alive. could it be bigger in my mind than it was in reality ? Yes, I won't deny that but my memory of it is clear and I stopped swimming in it. I've scuba dived in Watauga Lake because it was crystal clear and clean and never saw anything like what I saw that night, but Boone because was too cloudy and dirty for my comfort levels.

Last edited:
I was fishing in my pond in South Ga in a small boat . I caught a fish so big that when I got him in the boat,the water level dropped so much in the pond that I could not get the boat out. I had to throw him back in to get the boat out. I didn't get a picture but y'all believe me don't you !!

I was crusing along the bank of the ogeechee and pulled along side a gator as long as my boat. I was in a 16 foot welcraft. I'll never forget the size of that thing.

Buffalo in yellowstone, a whale off the coast of Ca from the beach.

I do not think the monster cat fish story is real. Not even close. I have heard it about every lake in the south. I say it is bovine excrement.

I did watch a buffalo chase a Chinese kid in Yellowstone last summer. That kid was LUCKY! I promise he had never moved that fast in his life.

16 to 17 ft Tiger shark 2 ft from my 21ft center console about 25 miles out from Steinhatchee FL. Sorry, if you do not believe there are giant freshwater fish, just pull up YouTube and search giant fish. They all cannot be fake

While on the way back in to Mayport after a day of unsuccessful offshore fishing, we stooped off to do a little bottom fishing. I had a small fish on and Captain Howard said get that bait down quick the graph is lit up with monsters. As I pulled my small black bass into the boat to re bait and drop it again, a huge mouth about 4' across came straight up from beneath the boat wide open with row after row of razor sharp teeth right behind my little fish. As the giant shark turned to swim away I could see he was easily 17'-20' long. He was about 3/4 the length of the 26' boat we were in. I jumped back from the edge saying Oh Crap, Oh Crap, Oh Crap (or something very similar) as it looked like he was coming to jump right in the boat.( Think Jaws Poster) As luck would have it he never broke the surface and turned away and swam off after the fish he was chasing disappeared from his view. Captain Howard turned around and said "Yep that was a big un". "Now get that bait down quick." Needless to say I quit leaning over the side to wash my hands preferring to use the raw water from that point on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom