• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best sports car under $15k?

If you can find a nice one - Porsche 928S4

rennlist.com_forums_attachments_928_forum_136738d1156731522_of78b5e9ddefa776c9f68f60378ba31505.jpg

Bought both the 280ZX and Miata for my wife. She prefers the 280ZX over the Miata. We drove down in the F-350 to pick up the Miata, she wanted me to drive it back in case there were any mechanical issues. First four or five miles I wondered what the heck an how the heck I'd gotten myself into the thing. Somewhere around mile five I got the seats adjusted, stretched out and realized it was like driving a go cart when you are a kid.....pure fun. As for the "gayness" of the car...I'm amazed at how many people tell me they want a Miata, and I have not perceived that any of them are gay. On another note, we tryed the Pontiac Solstice out at a dealership. It sucked in performance, dealer said you had to get the turbo to get any peppiness out of it.

Attachments

• toys.jpg
    toys.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 29
power to weight ratio of a 427 cobra with mild build 400hp Monster Miata out of California has the kits for these they run about 6K and include everything except the 90s model cougar rear chunk (IDRS)
www.2040cars.com__content_cars_images_63_466363_011.jpg

The current thinking on V8 miatas is the Corvette engine instead of the Ford engine. More power out of the box and better weight balance due to the lighter all aluminum Corvette engine. Multiple kits available to put the Corvette engine in. I have driven both and they are a rush.

Nope, the new ones are great handling cars, but they are entry level 'supercars' not traditional 'sports car' and they certainly aren't $15K.

To me (and I'll admit YMMV) a 'sports car" is light, with a smaller engine (4 cyl or at most a small 6), It should have a manual trans and decent brakes and suspension.

The old MGs, Alfa Spyders and Triumphs kind of define the breed, and the (older) Z cars, RX's and Miatas have continued the tradition.

Agree with your definition of sports car except for the engine limitation. Enzo would hate to find out he was not building sports cars for his entire life

Bought both the 280ZX and Miata for my wife. She prefers the 280ZX over the Miata. We drove down in the F-350 to pick up the Miata, she wanted me to drive it back in case there were any mechanical issues. First four or five miles I wondered what the heck an how the heck I'd gotten myself into the thing. Somewhere around mile five I got the seats adjusted, stretched out and realized it was like driving a go cart when you are a kid.....pure fun. As for the "gayness" of the car...I'm amazed at how many people tell me they want a Miata, and I have not perceived that any of them are gay. On another note, we tryed the Pontiac Solstice out at a dealership. It sucked in performance, dealer said you had to get the turbo to get any peppiness out of it.
I don't see Miatas as gay either. Hell they have their own racing circuit. I had a 93 for a while back in 04/05. The problem I had was that there was just no room at all. And getting in and out of it is fine if you leave the top down. But if its up you feel like you're climbing out of a little clown car at the circus.

How bout a 911 from back when they looked right. You know about 90 to 92 when they still had the frog eyed head lights. Then you just find the German mechanic in your area and take him a case of whatever he likes to drink. Sorta like paying his retainer.

A few years back, a friend of mine owned a Miata racecar that he ran a few seasons in the Spec Miata class. He also owned a Monster Miata. Both cars were quite fun in their own way.

A few years back, a friend of mine owned a Miata racecar that he ran a few seasons in the Spec Miata class. He also owned a Monster Miata. Both cars were quite fun in their own way.
I would love to drive a monster miata. Dropping a LS6 in a Miata is tempting but then I'd be in the same boat as I'm in with my Z06, it's too fast to really enjoy on the street without worrying about getting arrested or coming around a mountain curve entirely too fast and finding some other dumb@$$ in your lane because they unable to maintain their own... I may try the supercharger route for my Miata to get a little more power but have never driven one to see the difference from stock.
I'll definitely build a 427 Cobra kit one of these days though. Hoping to make that one of my first retirement projects...

Back
Top Bottom