• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best sports car under $15k?

Maybe I'm not hip but I like the first gen Audi TT ragtops with the tan baseball glove interior. First time I sat in one I said " Hey look. They made a King Ranch Audi."

The problem is that the auto makers seem to think everyone wants a 4 door lately. What's up with that? I mean now there's not only a Porsche SUV but a Porsche sedan! I don't care what anyone says. That's just wrong.
My quirk is that I dig all the mechanically misunderstood cars from the 70s and 80s. When I lived in south Florida in the late 80s I wanted an Alfa Romeo real bad. Would I buy one now? Oh hell no! But as far as big 80s and even 90s cars go I love the XJS! I would go so far as to say that Jaguar never produced a better looking car. And given the absolutely horrible depreciation on most Jags you could get a nice one now for way under $10K. I would go with the inline 6 over the V12 just for reliability.

I agree with you on the speed/versatility of some of the hot hatchbacks. There are plenty of cool examples from 1980s on that would be cool to own and drive - the original GTI, Dodge Omni GLH, MazdaSpeed 3, Focus SVT, and several others. All cool, all have a high fun factor.

... Unfortunately, none are sports cars.

I agree with you there, a real 'sports car' would be rear-wheel drive. Plus the older hatchbacks are probably getting to the point of being collectable. Most of them didn't survive very long, so they are pretty rare.

I'd love a nice Datsun 240/260/280z with modernized suspension and brakes.

Like this one:

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t416_nickpsomas_z1_zps8c451684.jpg

Back
Top Bottom