Best sports car under $15k?

George P. Burdell

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
14   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are in need of a 3rd car now because we are working in two different cities on a regular basis. I've always owned practical cars and trucks so I'm looking for some advice.

I plan to sell the car in about 1-2 years. Here are my current requirements:
  • Fun to drive
  • Not likely to need super expensive repairs soon
  • Good resale value in 1-2 years
  • Manual transmission
  • Around $15k or cheaper
So what should I buy?

m coupe:

upload_2015-5-27_19-37-14.jpeg

Mazda Miata. It is the only car that really fits the whole sports car modicum They are dead nuts reliable, and cheap to fix whenever there is a problem. An absolute blast to drive. The resell value is great as long as they haven't been wrecked, and have been maintained, which is just brakes, tires, basic fluids, and top. Speaking of the top, they are prone to leaking after roughly 10 years, but there are several places that will replace the top for less than 500 (that is typically a high number, but depending on year and rear window it could be that high)

I have owned several, and absolutely love the 95 though 99 cars. I am not a huge fan personally of the second gegeneration, but only due to the interior feeling smaller. Though the suspension is a little more refined and has a lot less tendency to hit the rear bumpstops due to a better top hat design. Even the 3rd gen cars are extremely reliable, and are loads of fun with a little better power.

I am a Nissan dealer tech, have been for years, and would tell anyone to steer clear of the Z cars. Maintenance is expensive, repairs that are expensive are common, and over the car lacks the refinement needed for the price. I am not knocking them or any other car, but for my money I would buy something else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom