• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Camping Coffee setup?

was just looking at percolator style coffee makers. little wary of the aluminum ones, think i will spend a bit more for stainless steel if i go that route. think im down to either the peculator style or a french press.
+1 for the percolator. I love mine. Its easy and makes great espresso. I came across it bc my friends mom is Cuban and that's the only way she makes it. Calls it "Cuban coffee" lol.

The one I like best is my old Mirro aluminum drip 6-cup coffee pot. No longer made, they can occasionally be found for $10-15 at flea markets.
71e80b3afe20a40e3948199599cef1c4.jpg

Then again, I like Cowboy Coffee nearly as well. All it takes is a coffee pot, water, and ground coffee...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Any French Press +1

Only drawback is you need to pour out what you made once it's done.
If you pour just one cup the rest will be in there too long and it'll get stronger then bitter.
I pour it from the French press into a thermos, then it's as good as the first cup for hours after.

If space/weight is a concern, it is for me, this is the best I have found. Actually an exact knockoff from monoprice. Only issue is you are limited to boiling stuff, as opposed to an MSR style stove. I have/ had every type brand back packing style stuff I could find over the years looking for perfect. They all have compromises but for coffee, this is the best I have found. Vid is a little painful to watch but good info

That's the setup I use. Be careful not to let it boil over, that stove will get a rolling boil very fast. And if scalding hot water is splashing over you have to blow out the flame, or risk burning yourself.

I have the Jet Boil with the coffee maker screen, if on foot it's a great tool for the job.

BTW: Don't boil the water when using a French Press!
Just get it to nearly boiling, little bubbles on the bottom, then kill the heat, add the coffee and stir, press it down 3 1/2 minutes later and walla, killer good coffee. :D

Man, just forget all this fancy-schmancy stuff. Go get a percolator you can pay high dollar there's 1 by T-Fal that stainless if you want something that's a little more upgrade there's nothing better than waking up in the crisp air and turning on your stove with the coffee and water already on it that you put up last night and while you're Milling around trying to get things set for breakfast that little knob on the top starts bubbling first it's clear and then it gets dark and then you get the smell of the fresh perked coffee. It's all worth it just for that. You said you parked next to where you can so weight and bulk is in a problem. I've even seen where they make coffee bags for the percolator so there's nothing to clean up. Do yourself a favor and grab just a bit of nostalgia there's not much left out there.

That's the setup I use. Be careful not to let it boil over, that stove will get a rolling boil very fast. And if scalding hot water is splashing over you have to blow out the flame, or risk burning yourself.
On mine the lid whistles when its on the boil, like a tea pot only quieter. I especially like this style because everything fits in the pot and then the little sack it comes with. Very good simple design and I get 20+ uses on a single gas container.

Back
Top Bottom