• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BATFE Moving To Ban M855 Ammo

I think the ATF was trying for an under-the-radar approach on this. However 99% of the people who ask me think they are trying to ban ALL .223/5.56 ammo.

This is obviously completely wrong, but I love how it's backfired on the ATF. They thought no one would dare fight a ban on 'armor piercing' ammo. Instead they got hammered with the charge that they are trying to ban 'AR ammo' completely.

I expect they will quietly back off this. It's getting too public and we aren't that far away from when the Dems will start announcing candidates for 2016. They do not want gun owners up in arms then, they want to be able to say "I support the Second Amendment" (but...).

If they can't do it quietly, I think they will back off. Just my opinion though.

I think the ATF was trying for an under-the-radar approach on this. However 99% of the people who ask me think they are trying to ban ALL .223/5.56 ammo.

This is obviously completely wrong, but I love how it's backfired on the ATF. They thought no one would dare fight a ban on 'armor piercing' ammo. Instead they got hammered with the charge that they are trying to ban 'AR ammo' completely.

I expect they will quietly back off this. It's getting too public and we aren't that far away from when the Dems will start announcing candidates for 2016. They do not want gun owners up in arms then, they want to be able to say "I support the Second Amendment" (but...).

If they can't do it quietly, I think they will back off. Just my opinion though.
I hope your right

I think you are correct. The Dems lost big (56 seats I think) partly due to the 1994 Clinton AWB if not primarily but leftist dispute that. However, for the very first time in Colorado's history in 2013 two senators and the speaker of the house were subjected to Democrat recall elections. First time ever and it was pro-gun rights folks who pulled off a true grass roots recall. Two rode it out and fought, spending over 3 times the money, with outside help (Bloomturd), media spending blitz, paying their counter-protestors, calling the thousands of individual who signed the recall list and attempting to discredit them claiming falsified signatures (accuracy was a record 98-99%) and suing (Bloomturds lawyer) the recall group for-get this using the state's form.

The look of disbelief on Ass Clown Giron was priceless. She still didn't get it and probably never will. Morse conceded defeat but still embraced his anti-rights view point and Hudak shortly before being recalled, stepped down, chose her Democrat-School board supporter allowing the Democrats to retain control by one seat.

Trampling upon the second amendment will get you fired in some states. Colorado sent a huge round over the Dems bow as they underestimated the will and power of the voters.

The 1994 AWB was still in the minds of Democrats when shortly after Sandy Hook the administration sprung their crafted legislation expecting to **** us all. The huge pro-rights public response lubricated the elected decisions. When an issue creates more traffic than they experience all year it gets their attention.

6 more days and only 15,088 more signatures to go. Come on gentlemen get the word out and lets make this happen. Don't give the administration the satisfaction of not responding.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

upload_2015-3-10_6-16-40.png

From capitol hill.......

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the framework recently proposed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) for determining whether certain ammunition is "primarily intended for sporting purposes" under the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 and the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act (LEOPA) of 1986. As a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, this issue is of great importance to me.

The GCA and LEOPA ban the manufacture, import, and distribution of "armor piercing ammunition," but provide an exemption for some types of armor piercing ammunition that are "primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes." Since the passage of LEOPA in 1986, the ATF has included 5.56 mm SS109 and M855 "green tip" ammunition under this sporting purposes exemption.

However, ATF recently announced a new proposed framework that it would use to determine whether ammunition qualifies for the sporting purpose exemption. Under this framework, ATF has determined that 5.56 mm SS109 and M855 "green tip" ammunition would no longer qualify for the exemption because they can be used in a handgun other than a single-shot handgun. ATF argues that these newer AR-type handguns were not available to the public when the exemption was originally granted to 5.56 mm "green tip" ammunition in 1986. While this change of policy would not criminalize the possession of 5.56 mm "green tip" ammunition, it would effectively ban its import, manufacture, and distribution in the United States.

As someone who strongly believes that the Second Amendment explicitly guarantees Americans the right to keep and bear arms, I will be closely monitoring this proposal and whether ATF ultimately decides to move forward with it. I also recently joined a group of my fellow Senators in sending a letter to ATF Director B. Todd Jones arguing that the proposed framework should not be adopted because it does not follow LEOPA.

Finally, I encourage you to submit your comments on the new proposal to ATF during the public comment period that runs through March 16, 2015. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this issue. Your thoughts are important to me, and I will keep them in mind whenever the Senate considers any legislation regarding the ATF's proposed framework.

Kindest regards,
i_safe.gif

David Perdue
United States Senator

ATF website: APAComments@atf.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
 Fax: (202) 648-9741.
 Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs
and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue,
NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments

Signed and link posted to the local gun club's facebook page. I do not believe for one minute that it will hold sway over the actions taken by this tax collection agency, but it will help me get to the top of the "list" for assignment to the FEMA "camps".

Back
Top Bottom