• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bar crawlin' in the Macongo.....

Still hard to believe Whiskey River is gone. But then again when you look around in any direction down there you quickly remember why.

We used to hit “the river” when we hunted in Dooley county. I forget the things I don’t want to and remember things I wish I could forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You just described every gin joint in downtown Macon.
There used to be one called The Fast Track Lounge between Grant's and Arvin's that had shootin' and stabbin' every night of the week. I had never heard of it. But it came and went pretty quickly. One day I believe it was 91 I got locked up by Macon PD for a failure to appear on some kinda ticket. So I was stuck there in the holding tank at the LEC which was a **** hole way back then. I thought I was stuck until I went before the judge. But around 10:00 PM the jailers came back there and said " If you can't get somebody to bond you out we fittin' to O.R. you. You gotta be gone from here before the "Fast Track Hour". I had no clue what that meant until some dude in there with me explained it. I didn't give a damn as long as they were walking me out the front door.
Anyway the place actually belonged to a Bibb Co PE teacher named Jessie something. A PE teacher that weighed every bit of 350. In fact I was in his class at Ballard A in 8th grade. But eventually Judge Billion had enough of that ****. He personally walked down the street from the City Courthouse with a chain and a lock and personally locked the doors. Then he yanked their liquor license. I saw it on WMAZ 13. That was 91/92 maybe and we thought it was bad back THEN.

Gone. River building is still there. I discovered that there are several "speak easy" type clubs that you can't get in easily or with proper attire amd some are just plan hidden from public view. Interesting night out.

Went to Kinjo's (no more Nashville fried chicken), Kudzoo Seafood, we left after 20 minutes at the table with no one checking on us (I'll mention this to Lee), Piedmont Brewery & Kitchen (ate dinner), Downtown Grill (more cocktails), Quill, some other bars I can't remember, then rkb or something like that (used to be Thirsty Turtle a few streets over, then Hummingbird, and I don't even know the name of the last place. I just wanted to go home, LOL. I'm old.

Do you recall a blues bar in a small brick building on Riverside that was under a bridge? Seems like it was directly across the river/interstate from the civic center.

Yeah. It was definitely an island.
It sits across from Houston Auto Auction which has ( or had. Ain't been up there lately) more cars sitting around than most junkyards. Aubrey Partain owns it and has ever since I can remember. There's no telling how many MILLIONS were made between those two bidnesses.

Do you recall a blues bar in a small brick building on Riverside that was under a bridge? Seems like it was directly across the river/interstate from the civic center.
I remember The Yellow Rose which turned into The Rose in the early 90s . It was right around the corner from the Bus Station. We used to chug quarter beer there between 5 and 8 damn near every Friday.

BTW...I forgot to mention that Aubrey from Houston Auto Auction also owns AP's Hidden Hideaway down on Broadway near the Peach Orchard. Yeah the name is kinda redundant and dumb but if you wanna hang out with bikers and wannabes it's pretty cool.

It sits across from Houston Auto Auction which has ( or had. Ain't been up there lately) more cars sitting around than most junkyards. Aubrey Partain owns it and has ever since I can remember. There's no telling how many MILLIONS were made between those two bidnesses.

A bunch of us from around the state would all meet in Macon for the old Turkeyrama in Perry. Wed get turnt up in Macon all weekend and then go and limp around the Turkeyrama wihh a hangover and try not to die every time some redneck fired up his peacock shock gobble call. Had a lot of good times with some good folks.

A bunch of us from around the state would all meet in Macon for the old Turkeyrama in Perry. Wed get turnt up in Macon all weekend and then go and limp around the Turkeyrama wihh a hangover and try not to die every time some redneck fired up his peacock shock gobble call. Had a lot of good times with some good folks.
We need to have an unofficial M&G somewhere in Macon like APs . Although it's not that big but they have a decent size patio.

My cousin says crime in Macon's not so bad. He's been working there for years,
and likes his job. He says it's easy and not really dangerous.

EC4943B7-F39A-483F-AEB8-AD4B307BC557.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom