• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bar crawlin' in the Macongo.....

So the River is gone? They didn't move somewhere else? I know all the old bars of my youth, Flaming Sallys, Liz Reeds, etc., are gone.
Gone. River building is still there. I discovered that there are several "speak easy" type clubs that you can't get in easily or with proper attire amd some are just plan hidden from public view. Interesting night out.

Went to Kinjo's (no more Nashville fried chicken), Kudzoo Seafood, we left after 20 minutes at the table with no one checking on us (I'll mention this to Lee), Piedmont Brewery & Kitchen (ate dinner), Downtown Grill (more cocktails), Quill, some other bars I can't remember, then rkb or something like that (used to be Thirsty Turtle a few streets over, then Hummingbird, and I don't even know the name of the last place. I just wanted to go home, LOL. I'm old.

So the River is gone? They didn't move somewhere else? I know all the old bars of my youth, Flaming Sallys, Liz Reeds, etc., are gone.
Been gone at least 5 years now. Just a big ass empty set of buildings at the end of Pio Nono Ave with a realty sign out front. I should look it up just for ****s and giggles to see what they think it's worth.

Gone. River building is still there. I discovered that there are several "speak easy" type clubs that you can't get in easily or with proper attire amd some are just plan hidden from public view. Interesting night out.

We to Kinjo's (no more Nashville fried chicken), Kudzoo Seafood, we left after 20 minutes at the table with no one checking on us (I'll mention this to Lee), Piedmont Brewery & Kitchen (ate dinner), Downtown Grill (more cocktails), Quill, some other bars I can't remember, then rkb or something like that (used to be Thirsty Turtle a few streets over, then Hummingbird, and K don't even know the name of the last place. I just wanted to go home, LOL. I old.
When my last daughter was born in 07 we were stuck at the Coliseum Hospital for about a week since she was in the NICU. Anyway about day three of that I decided it was drink time. So I headed down Emory Hwy in my raggedy red 92 Cougar to the Thunderbird Liquor Store. Well they have a circle driveway there. When I came out I was blocked in. So I decided to drive around the back way to get out. WELL now...Once I got past the privacy fence I saw folks dressed in goin' uptown clothes all standing around a fire barrel drinking liquor from bags and bottles. And they all stopped to look at the out of place Cracker. I just put it in reverse and backed all the way to Emory Hwy. It was some of the weirdest **** I ever saw.

I never really went to the River that much, but it just seemed like one of those places that would always be there. And palmettomoon palmettomoon that is indeed some bar hopping. I've never heard of any of those places except Downtown Grill, but I'm a homebody.

And speaking of old bars, I know Friends on the Hill in WR has to still be there.

I never really went to the River that much, but it just seemed like one of those places that would always be there. And palmettomoon palmettomoon that is indeed some bar hopping. I've never heard of any of those places except Downtown Grill, but I'm a homebody.

And speaking of old bars, I know Friends on the Hill in WR has to still be there.
My bug man did own Friends on the Hill. Don't know if sold it or not. The only bars I know of or remember in downtown Macon is The Rookery and Grant's Lounge. Me and a guy I grew up with went to Grant's one day back around 06 or 07. We were the only two Crackers there. They even gave us T shirts.

My bug man did own Friends on the Hill. Don't know if sold it or not. The only bars I know of or remember in downtown Macon is The Rookery and Grant's Lounge. Me and a guy I grew up with went to Grant's one day back around 06 or 07. We were the only two Crackers there. They even gave us T shirts.
I'm about 90% certain Grant's is still open because some people in the elevator at 45 (another bar, rooftop, we went to) were talking about going to it.

I'm about 90% certain Grant's is still open because some people in the elevator at 45 (another bar, rooftop, we went to) were talking about going to it.

Damn they have rooftop bars in Macon now. That's high class. :hat:

Back in my day all we had was going was the roof of the Hilton. Until the security guard came along and kicked you off the property.

Home now thank God. I cain't run wif de big dawgs no moe.
img_1_1691534427983.jpg

Back
Top Bottom