Automotive Question

I agree. I bet few of you have heard of homogeneous compression combustion engines. Gm is doing r/d in the UK on a 2.2l opal it's putting out over 300hp and gets 45mi per gallon. The only reason it will never work in the Us of a is the nox emissions is to high. If you have not heard of this check it out it'd pretty cool. After the engine temp gets over 190 degrees the spark plugs shut off and it's all compression combustion but it uses of wait get this 87 octane lol

That brought back memories of a article I read long ago, this link has a copy of the story. Smokey Yunick did some tinkering with heated fuels and got some incredible power and economy gains.

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/featured-vehicles/other-feature-cars/smokey-yunicks-hot-vapor-fiero-51-mpg-and-0-60-in-less-than-6-seconds-see-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/

You do not seem to know what Octane number is. Premium gas burns at exactly the same temperatures as Regular. Higher octane gas allows engine to compress the fuel/air more (increase timing), thus producing more horsepower. Some fuel-injected vehicles (like my Isuzu) can advance timing enough to benefit from it. I get better gas mileage on Premium, since I do not step on the throttle as much to accelerate to speed.
Some fuel additives do help. PEA is the only additive that has proven to clear the injectors AND not to create deposits in the processes. Techrone, 3M, Redline SL-1, Regaine Full fuel system cleaner have high PEA amounts and they do work.
I also use MMO (slightly less than the recommended 4 oz to 10 gal) as an Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Fuel pump lubricant. Ethanol in modern fuel, while increasing the Octane number, robs fuel of its lubricating purposes and absorbs water. MMO helps with that.
Seafoam and 3M Tune up Kit are very good in cleaning up the throttle body and carbon deposits. I use 3M's kit to on my cars (easier to use than Seafoam, since it has a straw to go directly into air-intake past MAF)

Since ethanol contain less energy it burns cooler , and gallon for gallon (gas vs ethanol), ethanol contains less BTU's than gasoline. Since ethanol Is used to increase octane, the energy/power output would be lower.

Since you can run ethanol in higher compression engines without fear of detonation, the power output would be greater, overcoming the loss of energy/btu from using ethanol. This would only be true for an engine designed to run ethanol, and I'm not talking about 10%.

What kind of quality is QT, Racetrac, and Kroger? Someone told me Kroger uses Shell.

I worked at Kroger for yrs. Its flipping the coin. A regional manager calls the three major suppliers early early in the morning. Whoever has enough extra at the cheapest price is what gets delivered to your local store.

I could have sworn all Atlanta metro area gasoline was refined in the same plant in Galveston. Something about additives they add for the "Clean Air" campaign....remember the "Great Gas Shortage" of 2008? It was televised then, so I drove to Alabama and filled up a 55 gal drum at Wally-World for less than $3/gal and sold it for $5/gallon :D

I could have sworn all Atlanta metro area gasoline was refined in the same plant in Galveston. Something about additives they add for the "Clean Air" campaign....remember the "Great Gas Shortage" of 2008? It was televised then, so I drove to Alabama and filled up a 55 gal drum at Wally-World for less than $3/gal and sold it for $5/gallon :D

You evil capatalist!

Back
Top Bottom