• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Atlanta fast food employees rally for $15 a hour...

that is impossible

unless you are saying that everyone is a 1099 contractor and can work for business owners or other 1099 folks

fact is not everyone is meant to be a millionaire. just like not everyone will get to be MVP on the baseball team. and success is a relative term. i consider someone living within their means and raising a family or pursuing their goals to be successful despite not earning millions of dollars

it is what it is

I agree with this, but our system is getting so skewed that being able to provide for one's family is harder than it has ever been. Our grandfathers were not working 2 jobs while granny was working also. This should be a country that if you work hard you will make a living, but that is not true anymore.

I agree with this, but our system is getting so skewed that being able to provide for one's family is harder than it has ever been. Our grandfathers were not working 2 jobs while granny was working also. This should be a country that if you work hard you will make a living, but that is not true anymore.
our system? providing for ones family?

i cant respond to generalizations. what is your basis for this? what system, government or economic? cause our economy "system" has never really changed

Bull****. My father worked midnights and a second day job, while my mother worked full time.

My Grandfather taught school and worked a second job.

You guys will never agree with me, I can see that. I am not entirely wrong though. People need to wake up. The fed has killed the value of the dollar and that system caused what we have here. The good jobs have gone overseas and we produce much less than we ever did. 97% of all money is in the form of debt. This is not sustainable. If you think the American dream is to work 100 hours a week until you are 70 and die old and broken, then you will probably never see where I am coming from.

My mother, pregnant at 17 in the 1960's, had to get a GED because one did not get to finish school with a baby. She and my father married almost 50 years ago and he joined The Air Force to put food on the table. After his time in The AF, he took a job at Delta and my mother went to work as a teller in a bank. They were both hard workers and raised 4 mildly functioning kids.

My father took the **** shifts, worked hard, relocated when asked, and was promoted through the ranks finally ending up in corporate before retiring. He still works for the FAA at 68 years old. His work was not glamorous but we always had food on our table. Not bad for a poor teacher's kid from Alabama.

My mother made banking her career and went from a teller with a GED to a VP. Every class they offered, she took. She went to instore banking to break into management and worked weekends. She built her resume and reputation through hard work.

My mother, pregnant at 17 in the 1960's, had to get a GED because one did not get to finish school with a baby. She and my father married almost 50 years ago and he joined The Air Force to put food on the table. After his time in The AF, he took a job at Delta and my mother went to work as a teller in a bank. They were both hard workers and raised 4 mildly functioning kids.

My father took the **** shifts, worked hard, relocated when asked, and was promoted through the ranks finally ending up in corporate before retiring. He still works for the FAA at 68 years old. His work was not glamorous but we always had food on our table. Not bad for a poor teacher's kid from Alabama.

My mother made banking her career and went from a teller with a GED to a VP. Every class they offered, she took. She went to instore banking to break into management and worked weekends. She built her resume and reputation through hard work.

That is great and I'm glad you had great parents. Work ethic is a thing of the past it seems. I'm sure you noticed the decline in your time in the Army.

I know a guy who was addicted to crack, no **** not even the classy powdered stuff, crack who is a successful business owner.

I have so many examples from people in my life who are successful coming from nothing. The system is broken? I say people are broken.

I'm listening to Herman Cain discuss this same story right now. And what I don't get is how these people mcan be so short sighted. Even if they could get to $15.00 an hour how many jobs per store would have to be eliminated? And at that point it would probably cost as much to eat lunch at Burger King as it does to eat dinner at Outback.

That is great and I'm glad you had great parents. Work ethic is a thing of the past it seems. I'm sure you noticed the decline in your time in the Army.

That proves my point. So few people have any work ethic that someone who exceeds expectations is bound to be successful.

Flipping burgers is not a career, it is a start. Whether you move up at McD or build a resume to move on to bigger and better things. Raising the minimum wage robs people of the opportunity to take that first step. It is simple economics; the more something costs, the fewer you can afford.

We need to shorten unemployment benefits, restrict the use of food stamps, and tighten requirements for welfare. Being poor is supposed to be uncomfortable. As long as being poor means big screen TV, car, housing, and food, there is little motivation to improve.

I'm listening to Herman Cain discuss this same story right now. And what I don't get is how these people mcan be so short sighted. Even if they could get to $15.00 an hour how many jobs per store would have to be eliminated? And at that point it would probably cost as much to eat lunch at Burger King as it does to eat dinner at Outback.

This would never have happened if inflation would not have killed the value of the dollar. The dollar has lost 99% of its value since 1913. A minimum wage job had much more buying power 50 years ago than it does now.

Back
Top Bottom