• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Army core of engineers property and carry?

You can't carry cause it is federal land. Just had a discussion with a game warden about this.

"Federal land" is not the same as "Army Corps of Engineer :Land" Any game warden who told you you can't carry on "federal land" is grossly misinformed.

There is a whole lot of federal land in Georgia where you can carry , which includes the National Forests, National Parks and and monuments, and National Wildlife Refuges.

I think you can legally carry an empty gun and leave your ammunition just off corps property. That's what I understood from reading the ACOE rules. Maybe we should ask them to install storage lockers. If someone would come up with a good boilerplate request to seek authorization to carry from the corps district commander we could mail those in but I doubt any would be granted or even answered.

499970B9-ED34-4D76-8058-697C58C510F5.jpeg

I have done this-- carried my unloaded firearm onto Corps property while leaving the only ammunition that I had with me that day in a dry empty Coke can in the woods off Corps property. I retrieved it later on my way home .

but now if you have a Georgia weapons carry license you can get permission from the Corps of Engineers district that covers the lakes and waterways you want to use. They will give you written permission to carry *concealed* on the water and Corps-controlled lands. I receved my carry approval letter today in the mail.

You also have to carry that permission letter--a full-size sheet of paper.
I'm going to fold mine up and stick it in a small Ziplock sandwich bag

I finally got my permission letter from the Savannah District of the Corps. They have jurisdiction over Lake Hartwell, which I do visit sometimes, as well as Lake Russell and Thurmond Lake. The Savannah District's carry permission letter took longer-- I had to write them two letters, but after the second one they finally got around to sending me my letter.

As with my earlier concealed-carry permission letter from the Mobile District of the USACE, I'll photocopy this, fold it up, put it in a zip-lock sandwich bag, and seal the bag with clear packaging tape, to make it tough enough and waterproof to survive being carried as I paddle my kayak around these lakes, as well as surviving the sweat of being in my shorts pocket if I'm hiking or otherwise exerting myself on the land.

(I think it's absurd that the "letter" itself is two sheets of full sized office paper, but it says you MUST carry a copy of this letter (and your state-issued carry license) "on your person" at all times. If they really expect you to carry your proof of permission at all times, why not make that permission in the form of a rigid plastic card that easily fits in one's wallet?)

P.S. The person who signed my letter was Michael G. Montone, Chief, Operations Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District, 100 W. Ogelthorpe Ave. Savannah, GA 31401-3604.

In Florida and I suspect all over the country, ever time I drive over a bridge on the Intracoastal, I am on Corps controlled property. And I am usually carrying something. I would expect there is an exemption for " right of way" roadways? I would guess that all "navigatable" waterways with bridges have a similar designation? So carrying concealed ( or at all?) Would be illegal, even if activities like fishing allow it.

Back
Top Bottom