• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Help Barrel question Please help!!!

My thoughts are bad/loose sights/optic, bad crown/muzzle device, or Barrel-barrel extension fitment.

Any thing feel or sounds wrong? Groups that bad with nothing visual/feel wrong would make me nervous with head space/chamber/barrel ext...

Yea thats what im afraid of im gonna try and break down and rebuild first I guess

In for DETAILED pics of the rifle before you bust it back apart....maybe one of us could spot something before a complete tear down is needed. Lastly, did you use a crush washer for you muzzle device or did it have a jam nut?

Yea thats what im afraid of im gonna try and break down and rebuild first I guess

Shoot it without the muzzle device first, as that's easy to do and a likely culprit. You also will not have wasted time tearing the whole thing down. If groups improve without the muzzle device, try a standard A2 next. This will help you determine if it's the specific device or a barrel issue. If none of that brings groups under 2 MOA, then you can take it apart for further diagnosis.

Wow...that is a lot of torque. Maybe back it off and torque it again. 40 ft pounds is a good number to use. Do you have a laser boresight? That might give you an idea of where the barrel is aimed. 8 inches at 100 yards is unusual, for any AR.

The spec is 30-80. 55 is not excessive.

Shoot it without the muzzle device first, as that's easy to do and a likely culprit. You also will not have wasted time tearing the whole thing down. If groups improve without the muzzle device, try a standard A2 next. This will help you determine if it's the specific device or a barrel issue. If none of that brings groups under 2 MOA, then you can take it apart for further diagnosis.

This is good advice. Also, muzzle device torque can affect accuracy, especially if it's a brake you're timing with shims vs a compressible crush washer.

This is good advice. Also, muzzle device torque can affect accuracy, especially if it's a brake you're timing with shims vs a compressible crush washer.
Torque to 20 and has crush washer
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_10_08_5d99b0e0591a8a470a5742de62a7f764.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom