• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage Axis bolt help

BlackRifler42

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
151   0
Reaction score
So I just picked this Axis II .308 up. It’s a cheap entry level bolt gun, I know I shouldn’t expect it to be silky smooth but the bolt on this thing when cocking it is super stiff/hard to manipulate. Obviously it’s not “hard” but I would expect to be able to reload it without having to come off target and pick up gun. I know I should have got a Tikka or I should hit it with my purse but what can I do to soften this thing up?? The bolt is super smooth once it’s cocked.

So I just picked this Axis II .308 up. It’s a cheap entry level bolt gun, I know I shouldn’t expect it to be silky smooth but the bolt on this thing when cocking it is super stiff/hard to manipulate. Obviously it’s not “hard” but I would expect to be able to reload it without having to come off target and pick up gun. I know I should have got a Tikka or I should hit it with my purse but what can I do to soften this thing up?? The bolt is super smooth once it’s cocked.

Keep working it. No will be able to tell if it is more difficult than it is supposed to be unless they try it for themselves.

I remember sitting in front of the TV working a bolt hundreds of times on a Mossberg 308 even put some valve grinding compound on it but it did smooth out

That looks way too stiff. You can disassemble the bolt and do some dremel polishing on the cocking pin and in the cut out for the pin on the bolt. They all need it anyway but yours looks pretty bad. I would expect to see some milling imperfections on yours. Also check the interaction between the cocking pin and the bolt removal lever. They are a PITA and someone may have forced something.

Unless you know what you’re doing, I wouldn’t recommend monkeying with your cocking piece. It could be possible to get it to the point where it won’t hold in the cocked position……as in, it fires when you don’t want it to.

1. Return it to the shop you bought it from.

2. If that ain’t their policy, mail it back to Savage for warranty repair or replacement.

Back
Top Bottom