• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Help Barrel question Please help!!!

Cobalt gave great advice. Only other suggestion is if you know an armorer local to you, have them strip it mic and spec it, and then reassemble.

LOL not laughing at you my friend but the comment about a gunsmith in the area i have to drive over an hour just to find a decent gun shop let alone a gunsmith thats why i started building my own first time i had this problem but i will give it a shot thanks guys im headed to bed will update after a strip and reassemble

Change out just the barrel (assuming your bolt headspaces on the barrel properly, and it should) and that will tell you if that is the problem. If still having poor grouping, you know to look elsewhere.

The only thing I can come up with is a bad muzzle crown. Like a burr or something messing up the bullet on its way out. That or a crooked muzzle device causing something similar to baffle strikes. I'm not seeing how the barrel nut torque would cause this much inaccuracy. The spec torque range is 30-80ft/lbs., so 55 shouldn't be a problem. I do understand the angle of the torque wrench issue however, so if having it straight DOUBLES it (I doubt) then sure, he could be beyond the 80ft/lb. limit. I do agree with a tear down and reassembly of the upper.

Of course, inspect the gun and double check the build.

Before you take it apart: verify the rifle twist rate with a cleaning rod and tight patch, and try some different ammo: 60-69 grain or a lighter loaded 55 grainer.

Good luck.

with the armorers wrench and a torque wrench i started at 35 ft/lbs and went to about 55 to get the barrel nut to align properly to let the gas tube pass without binding had vise block and all on upper then torqued the muzzle to 20

Wow...that is a lot of torque. Maybe back it off and torque it again. 40 ft pounds is a good number to use. Do you have a laser boresight? That might give you an idea of where the barrel is aimed. 8 inches at 100 yards is unusual, for any AR.

The torque spec is 30-80 ft lbs, so you're well within that range. This will be a process of elimination. First, be sure your sights and scope mount are properly installed. Second, pull the muzzle device off and shoot the gun without it. Are you using a free float rail? Is it making contact with the gas block? Is the rail correctly installed? After that, the barrel comes into question.

The torque spec is 30-80 ft lbs, so you're well within that range. This will be a process of elimination. First, be sure your sights and scope mount are properly installed. Second, pull the muzzle device off and shoot the gun without it. Are you using a free float rail? Is it making contact with the gas block? Is the rail correctly installed? After that, the barrel comes into question.
Will be headed to the range this afternoon and thats what thought on the torque specs I mean I did look it up before I jumped into this. Would you not notice the projectile hitting the muzzle break?? And no free float rail magpul midlength Moe handguard

Last edited:
Will be headed to the range this afternoon and thats what thought on the torque specs I mean I did look it up before I jumped into this. Would you not notice the projectile hitting the muzzle break

Not necessarily. All it would take would be the slightest of contact. Tiny little wobbles at the muzzle expand out in a cone.

Back
Top Bottom