• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else been burned by "Hogleg Smith"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, not in small claims. You just present your case to the judge yourself. Shouldn't cost any more than $50-$75 and an hour or two of time, if that much and that long.

Unless you lose.

Life's a gamble.

It cost $250.00 just to file here in Cherokee County. Ridiculous.

He may not care, but...thanks for the heads up. If enough ODTers stop using him and spread the work it'll cost him something.

I do like the advertising how crappy he is idea. If you have time.

Thanks for all the comments. Simply want folks to know....beware of this guy.
I am going to get Sig to write the letter to document the damage and the repair cost and present him with the bill.
See how he handles that. I expect him to say...."sorry" and nothing else.
In which case I suck it up and move on.....
The guy has a storefront shop, been in business for years, came recommended and at no time told me he was only a "cowboy gun"
smith....how was I to know? Just saying.....

A real gunsmith can work on most any gun. The "oh, he specializes in single actions" is a bunch of BS. You have to be beyond hack status to damage a frame. Losing a pin or spring is understandable; frame damage is not.

1. If he's a real gunsmith, he should be able to work on any gun and know when he's doing damage.
2. If something's out of his pay grade, he should say so, not crap it all up, then hand it back and say "no charge!"
3. If he doesn't adhere to both of the above, he should pay for the damage. Take him to small claims, and file for the damages plus the court costs, plus whatever else you're allowed to recoup in small claims.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. Simply want folks to know....beware of this guy.
I am going to get Sig to write the letter to document the damage and the repair cost and present him with the bill.
See how he handles that. I expect him to say...."sorry" and nothing else.
In which case I suck it up and move on.....
The guy has a storefront shop, been in business for years, came recommended and at no time told me he was only a "cowboy gun"
smith....how was I to know? Just saying.....
I can almost guarantee that the sharing of your experience will cost Mr. HL much more than the cost making it right for you. Those who are fans and friends of Mr. HL might want to explain that to him.
As an example, I was referred to Mr HL recently and before this thread. His reported lead time was what kept me from seeking his services and had me attempt the work myself (which seems to have been a success). With no answer to the accusations of horrible CS, I have no choice but to believe the OP's entire version of events. I will be sure to pass on the OP's account any time I'm asked for a referral.

Agree with everyone else who said, "If you can't do the work, don't take it in. If you ef it up, YOU own it." Attributing blame to the OP is ridiculous.

That's why there are smiths that specialize in Sigs, CZs, 1911s, etc. I'm not trusting anyone with a gun unless they know it in and out. Especially some old bubba who has earned the "hogleg" moniker.

It's up to the vendor, when the work comes in, to tell the customer honestly if they aren't experienced in the type of work and might not be the right resource for the job. In my opinion, that's a good ethical obligation for any professional to live by.

Perhaps a meme is in order?

media.makeameme.org_created_i_dont_always_02u40f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom