• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else been burned by "Hogleg Smith"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK things are starting to get fun here........

To those OT folks who are listing their positive experience with hogleg. I say welcome. That was the point of this thread...to see what experience others have had good or bad. What is not welcome is your speculation and distortion of the facts already stated. I suggest you keep those comments to the sort of editorials that point out the virtues of Hillary Clinton and why she should be our next president...makes about as much sense....

Now back to the pertinent data at hand. Based on the folks who have responded with experience with hogleg, including my FFL and the "folks swear by him" comments my informal poll shows;

Positive experience - 6
Negative experience - 5

By my calculations that is about a 46% negative response. I don't care whether its a mechanic, doctor, septic repair man or gunsmith....46% failure rate is not acceptable to me.

so now, my fellow OT'ers you can use some "critical thinking" and decide for yourself.......

This information brought to you by a fellow OT who is considered by his close associates to be a straight shooter with a penchant for accurate, well tuned 1911's in .45 acp who enjoys range time with a SA range officer, 70's series Colt Gold cup, Wiley Clapp Colt and Wilson Combat who made the mistake of taking a sweet Sig Sauer P938 to a "recommended" gunsmith with a cool nick name.....hog leg is a western shooters term for a revolver.

I would be concerned when a person, so vindictive, indicates "OK, things are starting to get fun here..........." I feel sorry for him more than just seeing his Sig "messed up".

I would be concerned when a person, so vindictive, indicates "OK, things are starting to get fun here..........." I feel sorry for him more than just seeing his Sig "messed up".

That seems nitpicky. OP had a pretty bad experience with a gunsmith. It's going to cost him a fair amount of money to get his carry gun fixed. Other posters are chipping in all kinds of unrelated comments and humor, and your focus is on attacking the OP because of minor phrasing, which you use to label him as "vindictive?" There have been plenty of comments from others suggesting OP's experience with Hogleg isn't unique. Below is a link Hogleg's Google reviews. It's only six reviews, but two of those six reviewers had serious problems with Hogleg, and they read similar to the OP's issues. Based on what I see in this thread and in the Google reviews, Hogleg is an inconsistent gunsmith. He's good at some things, not so good at others, and may have very real challenges when it comes to treating customers well when he can't do the work. That's useful info for potential customers to know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hog...e=#lrd=0x88f5f05b571cec61:0x4bcb0acb4f6e34e,1,,

That seems nitpicky. OP had a pretty bad experience with a gunsmith. It's going to cost him a fair amount of money to get his carry gun fixed. Other posters are chipping in all kinds of unrelated comments and humor, and your focus is on attacking the OP because of minor phrasing, which you use to label him as "vindictive?" There have been plenty of comments from others suggesting OP's experience with Hogleg isn't unique. Below is a link Hogleg's Google reviews. It's only six reviews, but two of those six reviewers had serious problems with Hogleg, and they read similar to the OP's issues. Based on what I see in this thread and in the Google reviews, Hogleg is an inconsistent gunsmith. He's good at some things, not so good at others, and may have very real challenges when it comes to treating customers well when he can't do the work. That's useful info for potential customers to know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hog...e=#lrd=0x88f5f05b571cec61:0x4bcb0acb4f6e34e,1,,

I would invite anyone to read All of the reviews on this google link. I am sorry that the Sig owner had a bad experience. As I have said previously, my experiences have been good for 15 years. I wonder if we are not beginning to "beat a dead horse" here. Enough for me.

Beating a dead horse? Hardly so. Based on his response to the OP, or lack thereof. And similar replies to other people he has screwed over, I'd say that the guy is a hack job. If he is unqualified to do the work, he should admit it and refuse the job. If he destroys a perfectly functioning gun, he should foot the bill. If he promises a delivery time, he should be held to it. And no, he doesn't get a pass because he's your drinking buddy or brother in law.

People keep saying that he's good at some things, but based on the feedback right here in this thread, I'm at a loss as to exactly what work he is competent at completing.

OK...now I am "vindictive"...wow....daninga...Sorry to say but.....you are the one with a problem. Most of the other OD members here get IT but you obviously have some cozy relationship with Neal so you want to bad mouth me instead of seeing the real story here.... Folks need to know this guy is NOT reliable.

Take your guns to him if you like, tell all your friends to take their guns to him...I really don't CARE!

But others who can see the huge number of folks who have been "burned by hogleg" seem to appreciate the heads up.

Neal "hogleg" Spruell took a brand new gun and made it inoperable....period... Will cost me several hundred dollars to get it restored to its original condition not to mention 3 trips to his shop, shipping, etc, etc...

This forum should be about getting valid information out.

This is for the OT members, not you.

Last edited:
I would invite anyone to read All of the reviews on this google link. I am sorry that the Sig owner had a bad experience. As I have said previously, my experiences have been good for 15 years. I wonder if we are not beginning to "beat a dead horse" here. Enough for me.
I read them. Out of 6 reviews 4 are positive and 2 are bad for a suckatude rating of 33%. If that was a trading profile here, he'd be a leper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom