Anybody make homemade enchiladas verdes?

fast306stang

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
378   0
Reaction score
Made this about a week ago, it was easy but time consuming. Long post coming lol...

A lot of this was by "what looks right."

Verdes sauce:

I used 13 tomatillos, and 7 each of jalapeños and Serranos. Boil until soft. Tomatillos will be done first. Cut the stems off of course.

Into a blender with a little water from the pot, some large garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon. Blend until smooth. This verdes sauce is AMAZING!

The chicken: I used 6 leg quarters, baked in the oven on parchment paper at 400° for 50 minutes but your oven may vary. I seasoned them with a homemade combo of taco and fajita seasoning. The skins were good! The hard part is pulling and shredding all the meat for the enchiladas.

Take the meat in a bowl and mix it up with some shredded cheese, then roll them up with some corn tortillas. I used flour tortillas last time and it was no bueno.

Take the rolled enchiladas and fry them in about an inch of oil in a pan, seam side down. This will make it hold its shape, then flip and fry the other side.

Drain on paper towels and then line them up in a casserole dish. Cover with the green sauce and more cheese, then bake at 350° until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

I don't think I can get enchiladas verdes at the Mexican restaurants again, this was better. I've got to make this again!

Sorry these are the only pics I took! One dish has just cheese and no green sauce bc my wife can't handle the HEAT lol!

20220424_172132.jpg
20220424_172139.jpg
20220424_172136.jpg

nice!!! im gonna have to make that for sure.

i make a crockpot enchilada that everyone in my family raves about lol. i would really call them smothered burritos though instead of enchiladas lol.

in a crockpot- 4 chicken breasts, 1 can corn drained, 1 can black beans drained, 1 can rotel drained, 1 packet fiesta ranch powder, 1 block cream cheese, and a small can of enchilada sauce. 8hrs low, then shred chicken and let sit for another hour (important part lol).

wrap mixture in tortillas to put in a baking dish, cover in more enchilada sauce and cheese. like cant have enough cheese here lol. put in over till cheese looks like the original posters cheese lol. then shredded chives on top just before serving. sour cream is really good on them also.

i also make them spicy and before i put the cheese over them i will put a line of jalepenos on each one, then cheese. i havent tried jalapenos in the mixture because usualy when i make this there is someone who doesnt like spicy (lame i know lol).

any leftover mixture just goes in a tupperware. it gets better as the days goes on lol. makes a great dip, or straight into a taco shell.

I use flour tortillas and cook my chicken in the crockpot with enchilada sauce and medium Verde sauce. Mixture is usually just chicken, cheese and Verde sauce.

My secret ingredient is a homemade bean dip that goes in each one. I don't fry mine before baking though, I might have to try that.

Made this about a week ago, it was easy but time consuming. Long post coming lol...

A lot of this was by "what looks right."

Verdes sauce:

I used 13 tomatillos, and 7 each of jalapeños and Serranos. Boil until soft. Tomatillos will be done first. Cut the stems off of course.

Into a blender with a little water from the pot, some large garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon. Blend until smooth. This verdes sauce is AMAZING!

The chicken: I used 6 leg quarters, baked in the oven on parchment paper at 400° for 50 minutes but your oven may vary. I seasoned them with a homemade combo of taco and fajita seasoning. The skins were good! The hard part is pulling and shredding all the meat for the enchiladas.

Take the meat in a bowl and mix it up with some shredded cheese, then roll them up with some corn tortillas. I used flour tortillas last time and it was no bueno.

Take the rolled enchiladas and fry them in about an inch of oil in a pan, seam side down. This will make it hold its shape, then flip and fry the other side.

Drain on paper towels and then line them up in a casserole dish. Cover with the green sauce and more cheese, then bake at 350° until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

I don't think I can get enchiladas verdes at the Mexican restaurants again, this was better. I've got to make this again!

Sorry these are the only pics I took! One dish has just cheese and no green sauce bc my wife can't handle the HEAT lol!

View attachment 4234938View attachment 4234951View attachment 4234952
I would suggest queso ranchero vs. cheddar cheese and garnish with fresh crema. Don't be afraid of dredging them in a verde sauce bath to prevent dryness.

1651264037752.png

I use flour tortillas and cook my chicken in the crockpot with enchilada sauce and medium Verde sauce. Mixture is usually just chicken, cheese and Verde sauce.

My secret ingredient is a homemade bean dip that goes in each one. I don't fry mine before baking though, I might have to try that.
I used flour tortillas the first time I made this and they were alright, I didn't fry them either. But the leftovers i took for lunch were soggy so I had to unwrap them and throw the shells out.

I took the corn tortilla version to lunch the next day and they weren't soggy but they weren't as crispy as when fresh. Still very good though. But tastes wise, the corn ones were a lot better to me.

I would have added the verdes sauce to the chicken filling like you did but my wife doesn't like anything spicy. She also eats her steak well done, so there's that :rofl:

nice!!! im gonna have to make that for sure.

i make a crockpot enchilada that everyone in my family raves about lol. i would really call them smothered burritos though instead of enchiladas lol.

in a crockpot- 4 chicken breasts, 1 can corn drained, 1 can black beans drained, 1 can rotel drained, 1 packet fiesta ranch powder, 1 block cream cheese, and a small can of enchilada sauce. 8hrs low, then shred chicken and let sit for another hour (important part lol).

wrap mixture in tortillas to put in a baking dish, cover in more enchilada sauce and cheese. like cant have enough cheese here lol. put in over till cheese looks like the original posters cheese lol. then shredded chives on top just before serving. sour cream is really good on them also.

i also make them spicy and before i put the cheese over them i will put a line of jalepenos on each one, then cheese. i havent tried jalapenos in the mixture because usualy when i make this there is someone who doesnt like spicy (lame i know lol).

any leftover mixture just goes in a tupperware. it gets better as the days goes on lol. makes a great dip, or straight into a taco shell.
This version sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom