• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

anybody fish the etowah, coosa, oostanaula near rome?

My boat is a 16 foot big jon with a 60 horsepower johnson. My concern is whether or not my boat is too big for those rivers.

It's basically a big aluminum jon boat. As the draft of about 3 inches. Of course my motor sits considerably lower

Last edited:
you aint gotta worry about the coosa west! ive seen everything from 12' jon boats to 21' triton and rangers shooting up it towards weiss goin about 60-70. If you launch from brusy just stay in channel markers till you hit the river.
Next time we go out were goin to tread up cedar a ways and possibly take the coosa towards hammond

The oostanaula can get shallow, but the first few miles you should be fine. Best is to go slow and watch your depth finder. There is a shallow shoal about 4-or miles up the river. I have never been far past it. I have had no problems below.

The oostanaula can get shallow, but the first few miles you should be fine. Best is to go slow and watch your depth finder. There is a shallow shoal about 4-or miles up the river. I have never been far past it. I have had no problems below.

I put in at 140 today and ran about 2 miles north. Seems to be around 4 feet most time. A few times I noticed it get to 10 and a time or two I had a little pucker factor when the depth finder read 1.... are you talking about 4 miles north of the coosa or 4 miles north of 140?

I launch in downtown Rome where the Coosa begins at the confluence of the Etowah and Oost then run of the Oost about 5 miles. Never been further.

Back
Top Bottom