• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any cheap or homemade reactive targets you enjoy?

Hang some bowling pins. They swing when hit and become a moving target.

I hope you have a huge backstop for that-- or 2 miles of empty land for a 60-degree arc on both the left and right sides of your target.
Bowling pins are round, and if you don't hit them within an inch of the center, your bullet is likely to ricochet or pass through the edge of the wood (and plastic cover) and take off at a wild angle.

I've done a bunch of bowling pin shooting indoors and out, and many indoor ranges have stopped hosting such events due to all the bouncing bullets hitting the walls, lights, ceiling, etc.

A better reactive target is a square block of wood. If the surface you're going to place them on is firm and level, a six-inch tall section of a 2x4 would work. But a six-inch tall section of 4 x 4 fence post is more stable. Bullets that hit near the edge are less likely to exit the wood at a substantial angle.

For steel targets, I like them to swing. So often that means smaller and thinner plates that are just barely enough to stop the bullets I hit them with, while not getting cratered or dented. Shooting very heavy steel just gives you a "clink" and maybe a dark smudge (if the target's been recently repainted), but shooting a 4" round plate only 1/4" think with a carry pistol caliber results in a nice satisfying sudden jerk backward and a swing.

I hope you have a huge backstop for that-- or 2 miles of empty land for a 60-degree arc on both the left and right sides of your target.
Bowling pins are round, and if you don't hit them within an inch of the center, your bullet is likely to ricochet or pass through the edge of the wood (and plastic cover) and take off at a wild angle.

I've done a bunch of bowling pin shooting indoors and out, and many indoor ranges have stopped hosting such events due to all the bouncing bullets hitting the walls, lights, ceiling, etc.

A better reactive target is a square block of wood. If the surface you're going to place them on is firm and level, a six-inch tall section of a 2x4 would work. But a six-inch tall section of 4 x 4 fence post is more stable. Bullets that hit near the edge are less likely to exit the wood at a substantial angle.

For steel targets, I like them to swing. So often that means smaller and thinner plates that are just barely enough to stop the bullets I hit them with, while not getting cratered or dented. Shooting very heavy steel just gives you a "clink" and maybe a dark smudge (if the target's been recently repainted), but shooting a 4" round plate only 1/4" think with a carry pistol caliber results in a nice satisfying sudden jerk backward and a swing.
Actually I have done the wood targets you mention. They're fun for few rounds, then they're too split up lol

As for steel, I have 5 of them 6, 8, 10, 12 ,16"
2 on chains, 1 in hangers. Other 2 mounted on Chevy lifter springs and do quite well : )

squirrel-2962847_1280-1200x800.jpg

cheap and reactive target

Was hangin' with some ODT'ers at a swap meet earlier this year. Was selling some #4 buckshot.

One feller said, "Well, with #4 buckshot, everything's a reactive target."

We all got a chuckle out of that...

EC8F11F9-F6C0-4A1D-BEA9-E82395AD984E.jpeg

Okay, so this isn't exactly cheap and it's not homemade when I use it ,
but I understand there are instructions out there on the Internet
on how to make this stuff using common ingredients
from the hardware store or supermarket.

PS: Putting 1/2 lb. of this in the center of a 30-lb. pumpkin
leftover from Halloween is really fun. Pale orange mist every-where.

For reactive, I bought a set of tire valve stems (a couple dollars for a dozen on amazon).
Drill 1/2" holes in soda bottle caps.
Pump up 20oz, 1 liter, 2 liter, etc. bottles to 80 or 100 psi.
Big badda boom.

If you want more mess, half-fill with water first.

Anyone old enough/been around enough to remember Ian's get together when it was like 106 degrees out?

Anyway, I built a stand that was two vertical poles on either side and a cross beam attaching them about 4' off the ground. I connected two clay pigeons with fishing line and draped them over the top beam. One clay on the ground and the other clay at the top of the bar.

So the idea was to shatter the bottom clay which would release the top clay to fall down - the challenge to break it before it hit the ground.

It didn't work so great so we ended up rolling the clays on the ground and shooting at them.

That was a fun day. Who shot up his cell phone with a Mossberg 930?

Back
Top Bottom