• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

any body doing any trout fishing

On a side note. I cant catch a trout to save my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the Hooch this evening for about an hour... image.jpg

went up to the Chatooga yesterday with my Dad (late fathers day fishing trip) where its the Ga/Sc line. parked at the Bridge and walked up the closed forest road next to it to put us way up stream. we weren't keeping time, but took us a good 6 hours or so to fish that stretch from where the forest road put us and back to the bridge. For being as hot as it was, we both could have easily limited out no problem. using a mix of powerbait (salmon eggs, red and yellow) and spinners. we didn't keep em because of the heat and we had no idea how long it was gonna take getting back to the bridge and the car where the cooler was at. didn't want to ruin any unless they were gut/gill hooked. but none were. they were short striking like crazy though! I even had the extra treble designed for short strikes and they were missing it lol. had a few real nice fish come up and swirl at mine, easily over a pound fish, but no big ones hooked.

This was about the size we were catching, on the smaller side as this was the only one I could keep ahold of long enough to take a pic haha. all rainbows except one really nice brown when we first got there, he wiggled outta my hand before I could get a pic of him lol.
[Broken External Image]:

I think I caught more of these bass then trout though lol. even caught one red bellied bream. tell you what, this one put up one helluva fight on a trout rod lol
[Broken External Image]:

all and all, we will be going back for sure. was a great all day trip. I think next time we are gonna bring some tubes to keep in our vests, then when we are tired or an emergency, we can just blow them up and float down to the bridge lol.

We like to float down the hooch. We put in at Buford Dam and used to float to Ga 20. They closed off the area where we used to park. Now we float to Settles Bridge Park. it's about a 6-7 hour trip depending on how may times you stop to fish holes. I tie on a Little Cleo 1/6 oz spoon and that's all I use. We limit every time. It's a very relaxing way to fish and great when the weather is hot.

Smithgall is a fun place to fish but there are specific regulations and days that you can fish and yes a reservation is required. Worth it though.

I fished Rock Creek a few weeks ago and it fished pretty well. Beautiful area up there for sure.
I love rock creek. Gorgeous place.
Do you fish the actual Creek or the lake?

Awesome, militaryredneck, I love that river. Good to see folks taking care of the fish too. Cheers.

ya we were looking at it online and people saying how it is an awesome fly fishing stream. after going there I can see why. nice and wide and not to deep, perfect to sit in the middle with a flyrod and not get hung up. maybe one day ill take the flyrod out of retirement and go up there with it lol.

I love rock creek. Gorgeous place.
Do you fish the actual Creek or the lake?

I fish the creek below the hatchery when I go there. only go during the week, so its never to busy. hate to see that place on a weekend lol. its always good for a few solid eating size fish.

ya we were looking at it online and people saying how it is an awesome fly fishing stream. after going there I can see why. nice and wide and not to deep, perfect to sit in the middle with a flyrod and not get hung up. maybe one day ill take the flyrod out of retirement and go up there with it lol.

I fish the creek below the hatchery when I go there. only go during the week, so its never to busy. hate to see that place on a weekend lol. its always good for a few solid eating size fish.

I avoid around the hatchery. I've had my share of fun with getting my limit as fast as I can pull them out of the water. I prefer the lake nowadays. I've went pretty far down the creek and only ever caught stockers. So I stay near the dam mainly

Does anyone know what the law is with using blue back herring in rock creek lake?

I avoid around the hatchery. I've had my share of fun with getting my limit as fast as I can pull them out of the water. I prefer the lake nowadays. I've went pretty far down the creek and only ever caught stockers. So I stay near the dam mainly

Does anyone know what the law is with using blue back herring in rock creek lake?

can you put a kayak or anything in the lake? if my mind serves me right its a pretty big lake right? gonna have to bring the kayak next time I go up there if you can lol.

fishing with Blue back herring in that lake? how big are the dang trout back there???? haha, but I have no clue man. from what I know you can use any live bait up there, so I don't see it as a problem. I would probably give em a call up there and make sure though.

Back
Top Bottom