• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A person without a GWCL?

In GA you can own and carry a handgun or long gun in your car at the age of 18. But you cannot purchase a hand gun until you are 21. The handgun has to be given to you. Crazy. You also cannot purchase the ammo until you are 21.

In GA you can own and carry a handgun or long gun in your car at the age of 18. But you cannot purchase a hand gun until you are 21. The handgun has to be given to you. Crazy. You also cannot purchase the ammo until you are 21.

can anyone verify that for my little brother?

fed law sets minimum age for purchasing long guns at 18 and 21 for handguns but only applies if you are purchasing from a FFL. under GA law, you must be 18 to purchase a handgun and there's no statutory limit for the minimum age for long gun purchase.
please correct me if i'm wrong

fed law sets minimum age for purchasing long guns at 18 and 21 for handguns but only applies if you are purchasing from a FFL. under GA law, you must be 18 to purchase a handgun and there's no statutory limit for the minimum age for long gun purchase.
please correct me if i'm wrong

I believe you are correct in regards to an 18 yo not being able to purchase a gun from a FFL, they can however purchase from a private sale as there is no state law that prohibits it. (if they do not meet any of the other requirements that would prohibit them from owning one.) OCGA 16-11-126 would cover this.

I would also be cautious about an 18 Yo carrying in a vehicle which is not owned by said person, compared to his vehicle, I believe the law specifically differentiates between the two.

Personally, I'm glad I finally got over the fear of "being on a list" and paid the money for my permit. It's really pretty painless and clears up these situations.

Man made or fabricated outside of the factory. Here's the law:

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Suppose I want a secret compartment to hide something perfectly legal from would be thieves?
I thought a vehicle was an extension of your home, you can have secret compartments in your home I hope..

I have three things to say about this discussion

1. If you have questions about GA gun laws visit http://www.georgiapacking.org/... It's a great site and puts all laws into laymen's terms... and leave him a donation because he dose this for us for free... (no I am not affiliated with the site, just trying to help those that help us)

2. like everyone else said... If you can legally own a firearm you can carry anywhere in your vehicle, loaded or not. I think there are some off limits places for carrying in your car, like schools, if you don't have a GWL, you can look them up if you want.

3. As to the false compartments.... here's a link to Ga assembly website and GA code 16-11-112 http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2005_06/fulltext/hb1193.htm

The code states one of it's purposes "as to prohibit owning or operating vehicles containing false or secret compartments", but the definition is where it gets tricky. It defines a false compartment in 16-11-112(a)(1)(A) as "... any enclosure which is integrated into or attached to a vehicle and the purpose of the compartment is to conceal, hide, or prevent discovery by law enforcement officers of ... A person concealed for an unlawful purpose ...controlled substances possessed in violation of Article 2 of Chapter 13 of this title ... or ... Other contraband". It goes on to say that the intention of the compartment is established if any of the above items are found in the compartment or evidence of any of the above items previously being in the compartment is found. It also goes into detail about what constitutes a false compartment and dose not include a void or space that was in the vehicle from factory. It also does NOT define what "other contraband" means, but I can't see how a legally own firearm could be.
So if I'm reading it correctly, the compartment must 1. have been constructed in or attached to the vehicle, and 2. have an illegal item in it or evidence of an illegal item previously being it, for it to be illegal. Therefor, a compartment with a firearm, not meeting one of the above purposes if legally owned, would not be illegal (technically). With that said, if an officer found one in your vehicle, I'm sure they could find probable cause to arrest you, even if they're technically wrong, and be free from any back lash, it's called the "good faith exception". I'm not saying that officers would just arrest you for the f$%k of it, but they're humans and do make mistakes, because laws are written by politicians.

In the end it is a felony, so it's totally not worth it to even try and with GA gun laws there's no real reason for it.

Back
Top Bottom