• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A good everyday knife that won't break the bank?

Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2. Or an ESEE Zancudo or Avispa. The ESEE is made by Bark River Knives. All four are made in Taiwan.

I have my Leatherman's, my Swiss Army Knives, two Spyderco's and two Benchmade folders, but I'd rather carry the Ontario's or ESEE's because they hold and edge, do the job and only cost around $30 each. You can spend more and people will say you get what you pay for. But, for the money I don't think you go wrong by trying one of Ontario or ESEE folder.

Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2. Or an ESEE Zancudo or Avispa. The ESEE is made by Bark River Knives. All four are made in Taiwan.

I have my Leatherman's, my Swiss Army Knives, two Spyderco's and two Benchmade folders, but I'd rather carry the Ontario's or ESEE's because they hold and edge, do the job and only cost around $30 each. You can spend more and people will say you get what you pay for. But, for the money I don't think you go wrong by trying one of Ontario or ESEE folder.
Oh No! if it only costs $30, you cant be one of the cool kids and the knife couldnt possibly be worth a damn.

The Benchmade Osborne designed 940 is probably my favorite design ever. It's a good size, reasonably light weight, and the blade profile is damn near perfect, IMHO. Been carrying pocket knives since middle school, 20 years or so, and this is my favorite. I've had 3 over the years (lost, not worn out) and benchmade has the lifesharp program too. They'll sharpen it and tune the locking mechanism if you ship it to them.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QA9G2W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461262457&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=benchmade+osborne+940&dpPl=1&dpID=416A8p95AkL&ref=plSrch
14612628448601876289215.jpg

I had my REI dividend and a 20% off coupon, so I sprung for the 940-1 with the carbon fiber scales and the s-90v blade. I wouldn't normally spend $300 on an EDC, but I got it for a little over a hundred after discount and dividend. Even the aluminum scaled 940 is definitely worth the price.

One of my favorites...Kershaw Leek

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_61XLOehTiqL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com : Kershaw Leek Knife with Sandvik 1660CB Stainless-Steel/CPM-D2 Composite two-tone Stainless-Steel Blade : Hunting Knives : Sports & Outdoors

Uses a composite blade. Very sharp. Assisted opening.

But the blade in my pocket right now is:

Lightning Double Action OTF, Taiwanese Version

The double action is very convenient. I certainly wouldn't call it a "quality" knife, but for light duty work it does 95% of what I need it to do.

Did I mention how convenient it is?
The Kershaw's are great. Carried a leek for a couple years. The speedsafe flipper system is great. Never was too crazy about the blade shape, but there are other options now (shallot, blur, and skyline). I usually pay a little more for the U.S. made versions.

Back
Top Bottom