• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A good everyday knife that won't break the bank?

image.jpeg

Some of my go to pocket knives. Pretty disappointed in the kershaw. It has actually seen very little pocket time compared to the others. Notice how beat up!

a bit over your $100 price break, but my daily carry is the Spyderco ParaMilitary. I got it off of Amazon for $120. Unless I lose it, it will last my lifetime.

I've been carrying this one the last few days. It's a slightly nicer version of the first knife I had as a kid, an old black handled Case Sodbuster, and does pretty good for $40.

View attachment 752590
I use one at work every day. It's a little more worn looking than in that picture now. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 15
A few "best bang for the buck" folders by price point in my opinion:
$30ish Spyderco Tenacious, Kershaw Thermite or Cryo (all Chinese)
$60ish Kershaw Knockout (USA)
$100ish ZT 0566 or 0350 (USA)
$160ish ZT 0561 or BM 940
$200+ too many darn fine folders to list once you get here

The older I get, the more opinionated I get and my willingness to spend gun/ammo money on knives has diminished GREATLY. I used to carry customs and mid-techs exclusively but the things I value most if I am going to do more than open mail with a knife are:
-strong lock (frame lock still the toughest all other things being equal)
-blade steel (affects price more than anything other than maker popularity)
-pivot strength/smoothness
-good edge geometry

*Just like the average gun enthusiast should spend time learning to shoot well, the average knife guy would benefit from learning to sharpen well. It is just about the only way to understand/apply blade geometry and steel qualities.

Of course, this is nothing but opinion so just my .02

Blackwood mini skirmish....

No disrespect to cold steel fans but a liner lock is, by nature, far weaker than a lockback... Apples to oranges regardless of manufacturer

Back
Top Bottom