• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A good everyday knife that won't break the bank?

That's pretty slick looking. After realizing I don't need to spend $100 or more, I'm definitely looking at these knives in the $30-50 range.

Brother, you can get a fine knife for $50 or less.

Like others have said, look at kershawguy.com. He sells "blemished" Kershaw knives, but every one that I've ever bought from him have been super. Free shipping on all orders, too.

livedoor.blogimg.jp_kettlebell0725_springassistedknives_imgs_a_3_a32f3e9b.jpg

Kershaw Brawler is my EDC. Runs around $35 give or take.
amazon runs lightning deals all the time on these. The last two i picked up for $17 & $20.

I've got one more question for all of you knife aficionados....

Is the difference between lets say Spyderco/Kershaw and bechmade/Emerson like comparing the difference between a Springer and Ed Brown/Wilson/Baer? I get that question all of the time regarding 1911s and you explain the difference between the internals, quality of fit, etc. Then there is the next level which is fully custom which I'm not even ready to appreciate when it comes to knives. So for the knives, higher quality steel jumps out but what are some of the nuances that make a quality knife? Weight? Spring loaded/auto component quality?

Thanks

A friend gave me this Kissing Crane for Christmas in 2014. I like it. I've been carrying it almost every day since he gave it to me. The last one I carried before this one was a Buck given to me by the same friend a few years earlier.

For my type of work I use a razor knife, so I carry a folding razor on me much of the time. Razors knives are great, and cheap. So are the replacement blades.

DSC00222.JPG

Lots of $$ for a beater EDC in this thread.

My goto for a light duty EDC for years has been a cheap ol SOG Flash II. Lightweight, holds a decent edge, takes a beating, opens beer caps and I don't cry about it. Deep pocket carry L/R reversible, tip up, spring assisted opening, I learned to quickly deploy offhand. Take out that damn stoopid safety and it's a good $40 knife. Hell, if you loose it, don't fret and just buy another.

Comes in many blade style, pick your favorite or buy several.

A few "best bang for the buck" folders by price point in my opinion:
$30ish Spyderco Tenacious, Kershaw Thermite or Cryo (all Chinese)
$60ish Kershaw Knockout (USA)
$100ish ZT 0566 or 0350 (USA)
$160ish ZT 0561 or BM 940
$200+ too many darn fine folders to list once you get here

The older I get, the more opinionated I get and my willingness to spend gun/ammo money on knives has diminished GREATLY. I used to carry customs and mid-techs exclusively but the things I value most if I am going to do more than open mail with a knife are:
-strong lock (frame lock still the toughest all other things being equal)
-blade steel (affects price more than anything other than maker popularity)
-pivot strength/smoothness
-good edge geometry

*Just like the average gun enthusiast should spend time learning to shoot well, the average knife guy would benefit from learning to sharpen well. It is just about the only way to understand/apply blade geometry and steel qualities.

Of course, this is nothing but opinion so just my .02

I've got one more question for all of you knife aficionados....

Is the difference between lets say Spyderco/Kershaw and bechmade/Emerson like comparing the difference between a Springer and Ed Brown/Wilson/Baer? I get that question all of the time regarding 1911s and you explain the difference between the internals, quality of fit, etc. Then there is the next level which is fully custom which I'm not even ready to appreciate when it comes to knives. So for the knives, higher quality steel jumps out but what are some of the nuances that make a quality knife? Weight? Spring loaded/auto component quality?

Thanks

Since I carry the "Hi-Point" equivalent in knife terms (otf Lightning) I decline to answer this question other than, well, if it looks good and feels solid, I like it. Not really the case with the Lightning, but it works and was inexpensive.

Well, I want to thank all you buttholes, LOL. This thread inspired me to buy a Kershaw Leek, and I wasn't even in the market for a knife!

:cheer2:

:yo:

Yeah, don't cha just hate that? Same thing usually happens with me but with flashlights.

Back
Top Bottom