• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.40 or 9

I prefer 9 mm. I have had both but I like the 9 better. And one thing you can count on. If, God forbid, you ever have to shoot someone in self defense, you can rest assured that person in not going to ask you whether you shot him with a 40 or a 9 mm..

I'm just waiting for the .49 milicaliber to be announced at next years Shot Show. Preferably in magnum. It will be bad ass.

I have weapons in four calibers: 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .357 Magnum The caliber I enjoy shooting the most, and the one I'm most accurate with, is .45ACP - one of the most expensive. I know, it's a cruel joke on me I guess. But I think I will keep all four.

.357 is a hoot to shoot out of S&W 686 - love it. Too big for practical carry for me though.

.40 is a little more difficult to control on a smaller or lighter gun. It does have good stopping power but that does no good if you can't hit the target. 9mm can have just as much stopping power as .40 and you can control it better. Really, it is your preference. If you are going to test out a firearm, try and shoot what you are buying.

I have .40 Glocks with 9mm conversion barrels so I have both. I carry them with .40 but I enjoy shooting 9mm more than .40. I'm still pretty decent with the .40...It is snappier, but not unmanageable. 16 rounds in my G22 is a good many rounds of .40....

I have never found that 9mm is easier to find when searching for ammo. When the panic set in a couple years back .40 was the easiest to find by far. I consolidate ammo or I would have lots of different calibers, but keeping a good stock of .40 and 9 isn't hard to do. 40 isn't much more expensive either. Even cheaper occasionally, but usually 9 is slightly cheaper.

If I had to choose between the two, I would probably go with 9mm for ammo costs and slightly higher capacity. I'm a big believer in as many rounds as possible. 9mm doesn't recoil as much either so follow up shots are simpler. Shot placement is vital, as we all know. Having a Glock with a conversion barrel is absolutely the best choice for me.

Back
Top Bottom