• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.40 or 9

If your question is reference the physical size difference in the Sigma pistol in either 9mm or .40, there is none. I personally prefer the grip of the Sigma to either the G23 or G19. The sigma grip is slimmer.

The trigger pull is long on the sigma, and if you get one with a stiff or gritty trigger, a phone call to S&W results in a Fedex call tag and a factory trigger job that made my Sigma a nice carry option. It helps that I shoot the Sigma better than any other DAO pistol I have owned too.

Id really really rethink the whole Sigma thing 1st of all....there are a bunch of better options at or very close to the price of a sigma, if you've got $300 or so to spend on a sigma, save a little more and get a used Glock.....as far as 9 or 40...for various reasons and to be short, 9mm.

Id really really rethink the whole Sigma thing 1st of all....there are a bunch of better options at or very close to the price of a sigma, if you've got $300 or so to spend on a sigma, save a little more and get a used Glock.....as far as 9 or 40...for various reasons and to be short, 9mm.

This is good advice. I have a sigma that's been in the safe for years, it was a gift from my parents so I can't get rid of it. As far as 40 vs 9mm, its a coin toss. I do find it funny that proponents of 9mm always recommend using 147 grain ammo, the heaviest round commonly available in 9mm. They want heavy for penetration, but don't want to carry 40 S&W.

All good advice and thanks...what Im looking for is something I can go to the range and play with and at buddys houses...but also if needed wont fail on me and I dont want to spend more than 300. Im leaning towards the S&W .40

All good advice and thanks...what Im looking for is something I can go to the range and play with and at buddys houses...but also if needed wont fail on me and I dont want to spend more than 300. Im leaning towards the S&W .40

If $300 is your budget, try and find a used Gen 2 Glock 23. Or even a Taurus would work just as fine. I own two Taurus' and though they get poked at, I have not had an issue except for the revolver and my PT745 shoots great with zero issues

With the price of ammo, I lean toward 9MM these days. And I have 3 40 S&W's. someone posted a link to a great article recently that basically showed that the difference in one-shot stops between the major calibers was so small that it almost makes NO difference. Plus with the 9MM you get a round or 3 more per magazine.

This! 9mm all the way!

This may be a little long winded, but we're here to help.
FACT- the Sigma has a nasty trigger. Long, heavy, and gritty. There are things that can be done to remedy SOME of that, but it will always be a Sigma. I will say if you master the Sigma, you will be pretty good at shooting other heavy triggers and DAO guns. Another vote is the SD (9 or 40) by Smith and Wesson. It is a notch above the Sigma, but not quite a full on M&P. It has the same frame/grip angle as the Sigma, but with a lighter smoother trigger, and Trijicon sights on the front. They can be had for about $60-100 more than a Sigma if you shop around. I have had both the Sigma and the SD in 40. The SD was a great gun, never hiccuped once but it was just too damn rattly for me.

I use to swear I'd only own .40's and .45's, however I am a MUCH better shot with a 9mm, it's cheaper, and the extra round capacity is nice to boot. So I'm quickly becoming a 9mm fan. The 40 is a snappy lil bast@rd, but a 9mm will handle business when you need it to. The ultimate choice is all up to you. Shoot them both and see what you like (like everyone else has said).

Look at what feels good in your hand. Pick up and handle as many pistols as you can. If doesn't feel right move on to the next. Everyone is different. Go to a range that has a rental gun that you are strongly considering. If you buy a gun that you dont care for the feel in your hand or how it shoots then you wont practice. You then have an expensive mistake.

Keep in mind the reason you want the pistol. Home defense, concealed carry and target shooting all have needs you should look into.

Nothing wrong with the 9mm platform. The trend in law enforcement over the last 15 to 20 years is to move from 9mm to .40 cal and now some are looking into .45 cal. A neighbor that is local LEO carries a .40 but the dept. is moving to .45. However another neighbor that is FBI carries the .40 out of choice.

Last thing to consider is Ammo price. Just go to Walmart and compare.

Be safe and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom