• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.40 or 9

ConRon

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
Im going to buy a S&W sigma and I dont really know what the difference in the two would be. I dont have the 40 or 9 round here so I dont really know what the size difference is between the two. And in this model is one better than the other? Any advice would be appreciated.

Im going to buy a S&W sigma and I dont really know what the difference in the two would be. I dont have the 40 or 9 round here so I dont really know what the size difference is between the two. And in this model is one better than the other? Any advice would be appreciated.

The difference is 1mm. :D

But really, go to a range and rent a Glock 19 and a 23.. Shoot a box of ammo through each and see what you can control more comfortably. Generally speaking, .40 will have more stopping power.

With the price of ammo, I lean toward 9MM these days. And I have 3 40 S&W's. someone posted a link to a great article recently that basically showed that the difference in one-shot stops between the major calibers was so small that it almost makes NO difference. Plus with the 9MM you get a round or 3 more per magazine.

You need to find out

1. What is the primary purpose of the firearm
a. Concealed carry/defensive use
b. Range/target use
c. Additional Gun for whatever
d. combo carry/target

2. How much shooting will you do will be a tool in the size and caliber you choose

3. Is it something you feel comfortable with

All these factors should be thought of before just saying "im buying this gun, but I dont know...". Remember, it is shot placement that stops the threat, not the caliber (unless your using .50). 9mm is cheaper ammo, but .40 has the best of both worlds. With proper training and practice as you should with any firearm, it should not make a difference in your daily use. If you were going for IDPA, then of course stick with the 9mm, but the .40 is a decent round and it is "snappy".

Once you find out what the primary purpose of the firearm is, the decision will be easy

As long as you are carrying it with some high quality self defense ammo you really cant go wrong with either. 9mm is a little cheaper but .40sw is a little more powerful. There are just as many people who will argue for the 9mm as there are for the .40. Its kinda like Ford vs. Chevy, there is no right answer but there are lots of people who think they have the right answer.

Back
Top Bottom