• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

“ My AR runs, so it's fine"

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
An Armorer‘s job is to detect things before they rear their ugly head. End users should know how to do that without the need of an Armorer. This assumes they buy the support tools and gauges to fill that role.

An Armorers job is not just to fix a weapon after it becomes a problem. It's to do preventative maintenance AND detect issues before they become a problem.

This sentiment of "it runs so it's fine" is BS. If you have that motto for your own rifles, so be it, it's your rifle and your life.......but don’t spread bad info for others to absorb.

Do you know the recommended maintenance schedule on the firearms you depend on? How often should different springs be replaced? Do you know how to check parts like extractors, ejectors, etc.? Can you check headspace?

“I’m a revolver guy, I don’t need that crap!” Do you know how to check your timing and cylinder end shake?

Semper Fi!

i usually just clean mine after shooting

if i notice metal shavings, weak springs, rust, corrosion, or any of that i may dive deeper and replace

Proper maintenance is a must. Just like autos, firearms need care too. Yes they will ‘run’ but for how long and to what safety net?

Sounds like you want to take away jobs from hard working armorers and gunsmiths. :p

I admit, I'm ignorant about these things. I shoot so little that learning about maintenance has not been a priority for me. You make a good point though. We check our tires/fluid/filters in our vehicles and do preventative maintenance.

An Armorer‘s job is to detect things before they rear their ugly head. End users should know how to do that without the need of an Armorer. This assumes they buy the support tools and gauges to fill that role.

An Armorers job is not just to fix a weapon after it becomes a problem. It's to do preventative maintenance AND detect issues before they become a problem.

This sentiment of "it runs so it's fine" is BS. If you have that motto for your own rifles, so be it, it's your rifle and your life.......but don’t spread bad info for others to absorb.

Do you know the recommended maintenance schedule on the firearms you depend on? How often should different springs be replaced? Do you know how to check parts like extractors, ejectors, etc.? Can you check headspace?

“I’m a revolver guy, I don’t need that crap!” Do you know how to check your timing and cylinder end shake?

Semper Fi!
Outstanding thread. I don't know nearly enough about this as I should.

Back
Top Bottom