• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why do folks post "PM Sent" for offers less than asking?

What's your definition of "slightly under asking price"? If I have a revolver for $775 NIB, and they cost $800 new and I get a PM offer for $600. Is that slightly in your book or lowball?

Don't know about Huffdaddy, but if your Revo is $800 at Retail, a $600 offer is 75% of that, so NOT a "Lowball Offer" in my book--Altho' it would take some GUTS to make such an offer--LOL!....mikey357

Is "PM's replied, still available" too hard to type?

Free thread bumps from my point of view.

Why is this even a concern?
Again, since you missed the point, I'm saying this from a BUYERs perspective...that it is wise to not post pm sent on an ad in which you are making an offer less than asking due to the fact it draws attention.

Don't know about Huffdaddy, but if your Revo is $800 at Retail, a $600 offer is 75% of that, so NOT a "Lowball Offer" in my book--Altho' it would take some GUTS to make such an offer--LOL!....mikey357

You know, what I really don't understand, is, that it is perfectly o.k. to ask a ridiculously high price, but a lot of people get all butt hurt at just the thought that someone might make a "lowball" offer. When there is no definition of " lowball."

I actually bought a gun here that I "lowballed". I didn't even really make an offer, said something like "if I ever see one around a buck tree fiddy, I'd buy" and seller PM's back "Ill take a buck tree fiddy." I didn't even really want the gun, but at the price, couldn't pass it up. Point being that there's no way the buyer can know how badly the seller really wants to sell the gun, no matter how many times the ad says "I don't really want to sell this gun."

Anyway, if the seller is "free" to ask whatever price he wants, then buyers should be free to make whatever offers they want, and everyone should know the rules.

As to the OP, I don't see that posted "PM sent" does much one way or the other, and I may or may not. Unless it's something I really want, if I see "PM sent" I stand by to see what happens, I sort of appreciate it, I guess, because I don't have to get involved if there's already some negotiation going on.

Again, since you missed the point, I'm saying this from a BUYERs perspective...that it is wise to not post pm sent on an ad in which you are making an offer less than asking due to the fact it draws attention.
I get what you are saying, but many people don't view "PM Sent" the same. When I first joined this site (the first forum I ever actually posted/interacted in), I saw PM sent many times on items, and then SPM afterwards. This made me think "PM Sent" was the same as an "I'll take it" and I would move on to try and find another deal. I thankfully I caught on after a figuring out this was not the case, but I think this happens a lot to others (probably not the majority, but a good few). Hell, I posted "3...2...1..." In a smoking deal ad I couldnt afford and the OP thought I was buying and sent me a PM asking if I really wanted it because he had 3-4 others wanting to buy right then...lol

I don't think it's necessarily negative attention to post PM sent. Hell, it may detract some folks away.

Also, If someone posts PM sent on one of my ads and asks for like $50 off on a $500-ish item, I may take it 9/10 and mark it SPM.

Again, maybe it's just a matter of perspective to each member.

Back
Top Bottom