• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who else misses mama's cooking?

Oh, my wife makes THE BEST salmon patties I have ever tasted but she'll only cook them if one of our sons asks for them, she'll always cook a meal for them so every now and then I'll put one of my sons up to asking for her to cook something. Most times she knows I put em' up to it but she'll do it anyway. Good God I love that woman!

The next time she feels up to making biscuits, how about giving a brother a call? I have no grandmothers left and mama can't bake anymore. She is allergic to airborne flour and can't make us biscuits. I have learned to cook most everything that mama did, but I can't master the cat heads :(
I'll try brother but can't promise anything. My daughter in law had never even had biscuits before getting into our family, she's from NY and apparently NY Italian women don't cook biscuits. She was literally stunned at how much she loved those biscuits the first time she had them. So far there are never left over biscuits when she does make them but I'll try to sneak a couple out before they all get gone, those things are worth more than gold in my opinion. Lol!

I'll try brother but can't promise anything. My daughter in law had never even had biscuits before getting into our family, she's from NY and apparently NY Italian women don't cook biscuits. She was literally stunned at how much she loved those biscuits the first time she had them. So far there are never left over biscuits when she does make them but I'll try to sneak a couple out before they all get gone, those things are worth more than gold in my opinion. Lol!

Chicago Italian women don't cook home made biscuits either. She won't even try. I make them from time to time, but they are not mama's!!!

My XXX did not know the recipe for steam. Used the smoke detector for a cooking timer.
When we were dating she got her sister to cook and told me she did it.

Growing up with a family of cooks we always eat good. My grandparents owed a German restaurant in Coral Gables FL and had the best food ever. Both my parent were very good cooks and 3 of the 4 kids learned from them. My brother can't even boil water. Myself and my two sister can cook just about anything. I do miss my parents and there cooking and for what they did for us.

After moving out of my parent's house, I started to get home sick for mama's cooking. Granted, I was only 4 miles away, I was now too grown and too much of an adult to run home to mommy when I wanted to eat. So, one day I was having a craving for salmon patties. I called mama and got the recipe, went to the store, bought what we needed and proceeded to make the croquettes. Fried them up nice and golden brown and sat down at the table to devour them. Feeling so very proud of myself, I took the first bite. I could barely swallow it. It tasted funny and was crunchy. Why was my salmon patty nothing like my mother's?

Well, to make our story even longer, I called my mother the next day to find out what I did wrong. First thing she asked was did I pick out the bones? BONES!?!? Why did my can of salmon have bones in it? This was very new and disturbing news to me. Mama, in her most motherly way, went on to explain that canned salmon contained little bones that can be eaten, but most often are picked out. Hence the reason she always used tuna. WHAT?!?!? She had been making our salmon croquettes w/ tuna my entire life. So, to continue w/ this tradition; the below salmon croquettes are actually tuna...

The first batch was too flaky and fell apart, had to add more bread crumbs to the next batch and it turned out much better.

View attachment 763554

Talk about a secret ingredient. LOL
I've never heard of salmon patties made with tuna before.
That's pure "gold" right there LOL
Thanks man, I'm gonna be chuckling about that for a while.

I'm sitting here reading this and watching a rabbit out for its evening meal and remembering mama s fried rabbit, gravy, cream taters and biscuits for Saturday breakfast! Mom was called home about 17 years ago and dad been gone 40 years. Miss them both!

Back
Top Bottom