• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who else misses mama's cooking?

OP get all the recipes from Mom now.
Think of all your favorites and ask for the recipe.
Then make the time to make each one and like the salmon/tuna recipe ask if it's not "right".

My Moms been gone almost 20 years and there's still some things I'd like to ask her about.
I called her so often over the years for recipes, tips and tricks that a couple of months after she had passed I picked the phone up to call her.
I stood there stunned with the phone in my hand and got hit with her loss all over again.
One of the few things that saves me is she always said "Taste it Bill, you know what it's supposed to taste like".
Her chicken cacciatore recipe which was more of a chicken with wine sauce recipe is lost, five kids and not one of us had that recipe. Losing that recipe hurt!

No matter how long you'll live, you'll miss your Mom's cooking!
I lost my Mother two years ago. Fortunately, for me, she compiled a recipe box of all the family recipes the Christmas before she passed. Unfortunately, (though I am quite talented in the kitchen) I still can't make them like she did. I miss her, and her cooking, every day.

I lost my Mother two years ago. Fortunately, for me, she compiled a recipe box of all the family recipes the Christmas before she passed. Unfortunately, (though I am quite talented in the kitchen) I still can't make them like she did. I miss her, and her cooking, every day.

Sounds like you're kind of in the same boat I was. My Mom's recipe would tell me what was in there, just not necessarily how much or measured with tea spoons or table spoons.

So I'm going to give you the advice she always gave me "JkEnder taste it, you know how it's supposed to taste", lol.

So put more of this, that or the other thing in until it tastes the way it's supposed to.
Consider the recipe a rough draft.
I was more of a science lab chef, I was always looking to put just the amount the recipe called for, you'll do better if you taste it, then add something, then taste again. It's all in the tasting, lol. :becky:

Sweet memories .....

My mama passed in 2011 there was never a day you could stop at her house and there was some fried fatback and cat head bis quits on the stove,my friends would even stop in from time to time.

yup get as many recipes as you can

my grandmother made the best deviled eggs and cornbread anyone in my family tasted but now i haven't eaten good cornbread in over 2 years. the store stuff is good but it seems to soft shelled for my taste, she made it nice and fluffy inside with a shell that held together well when held alone.

the art of cooking for a large family is slowly being killed off by fast food and medium speed sit down restaurants everywhere, we are so busy trying to make make and save money that we aren't enjoying life enough. two people need to work to support a household giving children little to no guidance as mom and dad are always at work or tired

My mama passed in 2011 there was never a day you could stop at her house and there was some fried fatback and cat head bis quits on the stove,my friends would even stop in from time to time.

That was my grandmother's house. I can still smell the aroma of walking into her house. She always had biscuits and some kind of fried meat to go on them. As she aged and times changed, she stopped making biscuits, but I still have the memories.

My other grandmother lived in front of us. She always had something ready for me to eat after I got off the school bus. I don't remember biscuits, but I remember her waiting on her front porch everyday for me to climb off the bus. She would call to me to come eat something. I'd eat at her house and then eat supper at home a few hours later. That's why I am so fat now :)

I am lucky enough to have both my parents still w/ us, but all my grandparents are gone. It's amazing how much I miss them now when they only seemed to get on my nerves when they were alive. :(

One reason I'm glad, when I was young, I hung around the grill and the kitchen, I was able to soak in the knowledge then. When I moved out and lived on my own, I had to fend for myself, I did not starve with all that I learned.

I enjoy mama's cooking, but I have made everything my own now with some tweeking of ingredients or spices!

After moving out of my parent's house, I started to get home sick for mama's cooking. Granted, I was only 4 miles away, I was now too grown and too much of an adult to run home to mommy when I wanted to eat. So, one day I was having a craving for salmon patties. I called mama and got the recipe, went to the store, bought what we needed and proceeded to make the croquettes. Fried them up nice and golden brown and sat down at the table to devour them. Feeling so very proud of myself, I took the first bite. I could barely swallow it. It tasted funny and was crunchy. Why was my salmon patty nothing like my mother's?

Well, to make our story even longer, I called my mother the next day to find out what I did wrong. First thing she asked was did I pick out the bones? BONES!?!? Why did my can of salmon have bones in it? This was very new and disturbing news to me. Mama, in her most motherly way, went on to explain that canned salmon contained little bones that can be eaten, but most often are picked out. Hence the reason she always used tuna. WHAT?!?!? She had been making our salmon croquettes w/ tuna my entire life. So, to continue w/ this tradition; the below salmon croquettes are actually tuna...

The first batch was too flaky and fell apart, had to add more bread crumbs to the next batch and it turned out much better.

View attachment 763554

interesting twist on salmon patties!

t.
I called her so often over the years for recipes, tips and tricks that a couple of months after she had passed I picked the phone up to call her.
I stood there stunned with the phone in my hand and got hit with her loss all over again.

No matter how long you'll live, you'll miss your Mom's cooking!
dang i didn't need that, i thought i was the only one that had done that. my heart hurts right now, it been 14 years. man how i miss her. she would fry fresh squash fritters for me and make them crunchy along with fresh fried green tomatoes. i can still hear her hollering out the back door "mick, go cut me some squash and a green tomatoe or two and we'll fry them up". folks if you got a mama go call'em , go give them a hug tell them how much you love them. you goona wish you had the opportunity one day.

Back
Top Bottom