• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who else misses mama's cooking?

OP get all the recipes from Mom now.
Think of all your favorites and ask for the recipe.
Then make the time to make each one and like the salmon/tuna recipe ask if it's not "right".

My Moms been gone almost 20 years and there's still some things I'd like to ask her about.
I called her so often over the years for recipes, tips and tricks that a couple of months after she had passed I picked the phone up to call her.
I stood there stunned with the phone in my hand and got hit with her loss all over again.
One of the few things that saves me is she always said "Taste it Bill, you know what it's supposed to taste like".
Her chicken cacciatore recipe which was more of a chicken with wine sauce recipe is lost, five kids and not one of us had that recipe. Losing that recipe hurt!

No matter how long you'll live, you'll miss your Mom's cooking!

OP get all the recipes from Mom now.
Think of all your favorites and ask for the recipe.
Then make the time to make each one and like the salmon/tuna recipe ask if it's not "right".

Several Christmases ago, mama put a cookbook together and gave one to me and my brother. I also have recipe books, notes, ledgers, napkins, scrap paper, etc from several generations back as well. My grandmother never threw anything away and had recipes jotted down on all kinds of pieces of paper from her grandmother and possibly even further back than that?

Several Christmases ago, mama put a cookbook together and gave one to me and my brother. I also have recipe books, notes, ledgers, napkins, scrap paper, etc from several generations back as well. My grandmother never threw anything away and had recipes jotted down on all kinds of pieces of paper from her grandmother and possibly even further back than that?

That's very cool, I wish one of us would have thought of that!

I have two sisters yet I'm the person she left her cook book to, I guess she knew I would treasure it.
Recipes from her Mom, my Italian Grandmother are in there, handwritten in Italian (I don't read Italian!) but they all start our with 10 pounds of flour. That makes me laugh every time, my Grandmother could cook for an Army!
She owned the biggest pots I've ever seen outside the military, lol, still makes me laugh, thanks for reminding me....

Mom for me was my grandmother here in Newnan, my mother was/is a great cook but we've never been close and my grandmother and my dad was the ones who raised and cooked for me. Both were freakin' awesome cooks, my dad never made hamburgers the same way twice. He always tried something different and they were always good. My grandmother was a true Southern Belle and southern style cook. My wife is also a Southern Belle and one of the best when it comes to cooking but since our sons grew up and she was diagnosed with MS she rarely cooks anymore. When she was growing up her 5 sisters and her mom called her Suzy Homemaker, she could do it all and always wanted to be a wife, mother and homemaker. She was damn good at it too but when I asked her to marry me in 1978 I told her she would need to learn how to cook my grandmother's biscuits, she made biscuits twice a day everyday except Sunday when she only made them once. Well, my wife did learn to make biscuits exactly like my granny and the deal was sealed, I married her. Lol! On the rare occasion when she does cook or make biscuits I ALWAYS eat waaaaay too much because I really do miss her cooking, A LOT! I get really tired of my own cooking and going out to eat or getting take out but I understand that my wife just doesn't feel up to cooking over a hot stove much anymore. Did I say I miss her cooking? Geez I miss those home cooked meals! Lol

Mom for me was my grandmother here in Newnan, my mother was/is a great cook but we've never been close and my grandmother and my dad was the ones who raised and cooked for me. Both were freakin' awesome cooks, my dad never made hamburgers the same way twice. He always tried something different and they were always good. My grandmother was a true Southern Belle and southern style cook. My wife is also a Southern Belle and one of the best when it comes to cooking but since our sons grew up and she was diagnosed with MS she rarely cooks anymore. When she was growing up her 5 sisters and her mom called her Suzy Homemaker, she could do it all and always wanted to be a wife, mother and homemaker. She was damn good at it too but when I asked her to marry me in 1978 I told her she would need to learn how to cook my grandmother's biscuits, she made biscuits twice a day everyday except Sunday when she only made them once. Well, my wife did learn to make biscuits exactly like my granny and the deal was sealed, I married her. Lol! On the rare occasion when she does cook or make biscuits I ALWAYS eat waaaaay too much because I really do miss her cooking, A LOT! I get really tired of my own cooking and going out to eat or getting take out but I understand that my wife just doesn't feel up to cooking over a hot stove much anymore. Did I say I miss her cooking? Geez I miss those home cooked meals! Lol

The next time she feels up to making biscuits, how about giving a brother a call? I have no grandmothers left and mama can't bake anymore. She is allergic to airborne flour and can't make us biscuits. I have learned to cook most everything that mama did, but I can't master the cat heads :(

Back
Top Bottom