• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to do in a situation...

I would run first if appropriate. Avoid confrontation until you can't.

I'll bet can outrun 99.9% of the bums out there. :D

EXACTLY! I run in races anyways. If it were just me, and I noticed no sign of weapons and out numbered 2 to 1..and my spidey senses said it's gone to the almost red zone..point down the street and say "ahh look, baby wolves" and move out. And if it were me and my family..my wife and daughter are actually faster than me off the sprint. Yeah, I know I don't have to give ground, but if I can make space, then other options open up. I was taught a lesson by a Green beret during a patrol. He was one of those believe in the power of nature / evolution types. We have a sixth sense, and it's become dull or ignored. The first time you feel something..maybe coincidence or over reacting..the second time you feel something, lay down and supressive fire. If my instincts tell me run..I'm running. When it says ok..kill everything that moves..I'll stop and commence to kill everything that moves. Giving up my ground isn't a big deal. Plenty of sidewalk on the other side of the street.

Not to digress here but you are mistaken on a couple of facts on the Zimmerman case.

1. The 911 operator did not instruct Zimmerman not to follow. She said "we don't need you to do that" and yes there is a difference.

2. Zimmerman did not follow Martin after she said that. Zimmerman was attacked by Martin on the way back to his car.

Re-read my post. For 1) In my post I specifcally say "the 911 operator told him he didn't need to follow Martin and he still did." I'm not sure what your problem is...?

For 2) Zimmerman DID keep following him and he even said that he didn't turn around to go back to his car until he lost sight of him. Nobody knows what really happened after that except Zimmerman, and he hasn't exactly turned out to be the most honest person (hiding money at his bond hearing, for one). You have no idea whether or not he was the original assailant or victim. Why you assume you do is beyond me. I never said he is innocent or guilty, I just said that he did some questionable things that landed him where he is and that he's not in his position simply because he shot a black kid. Continuing to pursue someone when they aren't on your property after the operator tells you that you don't need to do that isn't wrong, per se, but it isn't smart if you plan on using lethal force and claiming self defense.

I don't mean to sound condescending here, but 50% of your post was you completely making up an issue in my post that didn't exist and the other 50% was you acting like you knew something that you don't. All you know is what Zimmerman said, not what actually happened. And yes, there is probably a difference :thumb:

Re-read my post. For 1) In my post I specifcally say "the 911 operator told him he didn't need to follow Martin and he still did." I'm not sure what your problem is...?

For 2) Zimmerman DID keep following him and he even said that he didn't turn around to go back to his car until he lost sight of him. Nobody knows what really happened after that except Zimmerman, and he hasn't exactly turned out to be the most honest person (hiding money at his bond hearing, for one). You have no idea whether or not he was the original assailant or victim. Why you assume you do is beyond me. I never said he is innocent or guilty, I just said that he did some questionable things that landed him where he is and that he's not in his position simply because he shot a black kid. Continuing to pursue someone when they aren't on your property after the operator tells you that you don't need to do that isn't wrong, per se, but it isn't smart if you plan on using lethal force and claiming self defense.

I don't mean to sound condescending here, but 50% of your post was you completely making up an issue in my post that didn't exist and the other 50% was you acting like you knew something that you don't. All you know is what Zimmerman said, not what actually happened. And yes, there is probably a difference :thumb:

I don't believe Zimmerman "planned" on using deadly force but having your head slammed to the ground is a pretty good reason to draw and fire.

I don't believe Zimmerman "planned" on using deadly force but having your head slammed to the ground is a pretty good reason to draw and fire.

No arguments there. However, if you think somebody is "up to no good" and your following them around, the possibility of a confrontation has to be front and center in your mind. Regardless, the whole context of my original post was to point out that Zimmerman isn't in his situation simply because he shot a black kid, but rather because of the questionable decisions he made along the way. Can we agree on that?

I've had one physical altercation with a street bum. I was driving down the road and saw him beating the crap out of a guy and trying to throw him in traffic. The victim was in dress slacks, a white shirt and a tie. He was wearing a name tag. The other guy was dirty, poorly dressed and altogether unkept. The "shirt" was getting the worse end of the deal from what I could see. It turned out that the guy had robbed a store several times in the past and the manager had got tired of it and tried to take matters into his own hands.

Big mistake on the managers part. I got to his assistance as quickly as I could considering I had to park my car safely. As I approached, the guy took a swing at me. I stepped slightly sideways enough to let his punch hook in front of my stomach. I grabbed his hand with my right hand and hooked my left arm under his bent elbow. I applied downward pressure on his hand toward his wrist forcing his palm to open toward his elbow. By putting this painful awkward pressure on his wrist he immediately stopped fighting the other guy. He tried to swing at me with his left hand but I responded by increasing the pressure on his wrist. He cried out in pain and gave up. I'm 5'8" and 180 pounds and the other guy was 220 and 6'2". I stopped the fight without landing a punch. I only had to deal with his sweat until the cops arrived 10 minutes later.

Consider bodily fluid contact if you are in a fight with a less than desirable person. Lots will have Hepatitis or some other blood born disease. You don't want their blood, spit, urine, feces, hair or teeth on you. Their clothing can also be contaminated with lice or chemicals or something. Avoid it if you can but if you must act like I did, please be careful and try to avoid anything that can cause a cut or bite.

No arguments there. However, if you think somebody is "up to no good" and your following them around, the possibility of a confrontation has to be front and center in your mind. Regardless, the whole context of my original post was to point out that Zimmerman isn't in his situation simply because he shot a black kid, but rather because of the questionable decisions he made along the way. Can we agree on that?

Zimmerman is in the position because the story fit the media narrative or at least they thought it did. The story started to change when the media found out Zimmerman was not "some racist white guy"; this is where we started hearing the term White-Hispanic. The fact is he would never have been charged if it were not for the race pimps descending upon Central FL.

You are right about one thing. Discretion is often times the better part of valor.

I certainly believe it is a horrible idea to claim to be Billy Badass on a public forum, because every post here would be read into evidence should anyone here need to use deadly force.

If your life is not at risk, walk away quickly. Brandishing a weapon when you are not at risk will not serve you in the long run.

Real talk. Had this exact situation happen to me at the Chevron at Metropolitan and University, one bum in front, one behind. I had my shooter on me, but I didn't want to cause a big scene... So I just turned and yelled at the guy behind me to BACK UP in as serious a voice I could muster, he stepped back, having had his eyes opened a little by the suddenness and intensity of the command voice. When both hobos were a safe distance (i.e., outside of arms reach) I just kept walking and got in the car. I'll tell you right now, my a-hole was pretty puckered throughout the encounter, but I figured I'd wait to pull the piece until one of the derelicts took an actual swing, grabbed up on a knife, etc. They were addled by alcohol so I figured I'd have time on the draw. It did take a buttload of restraint not to just pull the Sig and solve it, though.

Back
Top Bottom