• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

what is a simple bill of sale?

What was to keep your brother from post dating a BOS at that time or just talking to the (idiotic) LEO directly? I'd love to know what jurisdiction that was in (so I never go there).

Just saying,

I "heard" about a "good friend", yeah, that's it, a "real good friend" who was gifted an old truck from his father, and went to register it and was told that he needed a BOS which he didn't have ,and which he didn't want to drive back to Atlanta to get.

S o o o o -- he went outside and wrote up a BOS on a piece of notebook paper, "signed" by his father, and took it back in to the tag office, and promptly received a tag. (He had the existing tag receipt was what I was "told")

Or so I heard.

Just saying,

I "heard" about a "good friend", yeah, that's it, a "real good friend" who was gifted an old truck from his father, and went to register it and was told that he needed a BOS which he didn't have ,and which he didn't want to drive back to Atlanta to get.

S o o o o -- he went outside and wrote up a BOS on a piece of notebook paper, "signed" by his father, and took it back in to the tag office, and promptly received a tag. (He had the existing tag receipt was what I was "told")

Or so I heard.
I just can't fathom such a thing!

what's the difference between a bill of sale and a simple bill of sale? and what is the point since there is no legal requirement for either?

Assuming this is a legit question and not just trying to start an argument:

1-- A simple bill of sale is something in writing that is supporting evidence (some call it "proof") that you sold a particular gun to a particular person on a certain date. It can be really short-- 30 words or less, scribbled on the back of a paper plate in crayon.

2-- Some people's "bill of sale" have other things in them, like:
* a disclaimer of any warranty, even implied.
* a statement that the buyer represents that he is fully qualified to possess this weapon.
* unusually detailed information about the buyer and seller-- dates of birth, addresses, driver's license numbers and expiration dates, etc. The kind of info you'd be asked when filling out a Form 4473.

The stuff on list #2 above takes it out of the "simple bill of sale" category in my mind.

A simple bill of sale would be: "I, Joe Blow, sell my S&W model 15, SN# D34874, to Fnu Lnu, and he has already paid. Date: _________ Buyer's signature ______________. Seller's signature _________________."

Assuming this is a legit question and not just trying to start an argument:

1-- A simple bill of sale is something in writing that is supporting evidence (some call it "proof") that you sold a particular gun to a particular person on a certain date. It can be really short-- 30 words or less, scribbled on the back of a paper plate in crayon.

2-- Some people's "bill of sale" have other things in them, like:
* a disclaimer of any warranty, even implied.
* a statement that the buyer represents that he is fully qualified to possess this weapon.
* unusually detailed information about the buyer and seller-- dates of birth, addresses, driver's license numbers and expiration dates, etc. The kind of info you'd be asked when filling out a Form 4473.

The stuff on list #2 above takes it out of the "simple bill of sale" category in my mind.

A simple bill of sale would be: "I, Joe Blow, sell my S&W model 15, SN# D34874, to Fnu Lnu, and he has already paid. Date: _________ Buyer's signature ______________. Seller's signature _________________."

you didn't answer the part about what's the point since there is no legal requirement for a bos :)

what's the difference between a bill of sale and a simple bill of sale? and what is the point since there is no legal requirement for either?

Besides being a deal breaker, nothing much. I'm bringing cash / item for your item / cash. Why you got to bring additional printed paper into this? :confused2:

What was to keep your brother from post dating a BOS at that time or just talking to the (idiotic) LEO directly? I'd love to know what jurisdiction that was in (so I never go there).
It happened in New Orleans, and this was several years later, My brother was living in Georgia at the time. Took the guy a few weeks to find my brother. Once he did, luckly my brother was able to provide the original BOS

Back
Top Bottom