• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vht flame proof. (cerakote replacement)

I tried doing this on a AR lower that hadn't been anodized, worked great till I shot it and started cleaning it. The rem oil rubbed it right off, not sure if I had bad results because of it not being anodized or what

I tried doing this on a AR lower that hadn't been anodized, worked great till I shot it and started cleaning it. The rem oil rubbed it right off, not sure if I had bad results because of it not being anodized or what

The frame on my kimber is aluminum also. I never had any issues with it coming off. Did you have it media blasted or sand it down and degrease it prior to spraying it?

Did you use exactly the same stuff? Prep it correctly? Bake it 3 different times?

The frame on my kimber is aluminum also. I never had any issues with it coming off. Did you have it media blasted or sand it down and degrease it prior to spraying it?
Just a good sand and degrease. Pretty odd because I used the technique that others had great success with

- - - Updated - - -

Did you use exactly the same stuff? Prep it correctly? Bake it 3 different times?
Exact everything, I use the same stuff on the headers on my truck.

So, BGolden, I used something a little different on my slide. I wanted a gloss finish, and the High heat stuff didn't come in gloss.
paint.jpg

The silver is what I did the frame with, just like you(and your Dad) suggested. The black is what I did the slide with, not ceramic, just their Epoxy paint. I oven cured it with the frame except for the last HOT cycle and it turned out HARD! I dinged it a few times putting the extractor pin back in, so I am going to wait about a week, and re-coat it. A solid hit with a brass hammer within an hour of the oven, and all it did was knock the shine off of it. No chips or cracks, but it bothers me...

So, BGolden, I used something a little different on my slide. I wanted a gloss finish, and the High heat stuff didn't come in gloss.
View attachment 239595

The silver is what I did the frame with, just like you(and your Dad) suggested. The black is what I did the slide with, not ceramic, just their Epoxy paint. I oven cured it with the frame except for the last HOT cycle and it turned out HARD! I dinged it a few times putting the extractor pin back in, so I am going to wait about a week, and re-coat it. A solid hit with a brass hammer within an hour of the oven, and all it did was knock the shine off of it. No chips or cracks, but it bothers me...
Post pics of this when your finished! I bet that looks great

Back
Top Bottom