• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vht flame proof. (cerakote replacement)

Bgolden84

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
106   0
Reaction score
Ok so some of you may have seen my thread on the bobtail project I did on my kimber pro carry. Well I decided to take a stab at refinishing the pistol as well I'm very pleased with the results. I used a product found at the local parts store for painting exhaust headers. It's called Vht header paint here is a link. http://www.jegs.com/p/VHT/VHT-Flame-Proof-Header-Paint/749303/10002/-1

I sanded everything down washed it all off and then put three coats on. After you coat it there is instructions on the can to cure it. I followed the instructions on the can. Here is the frame..
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_28_uzu3y3et.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_28_uda6yjuv.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_28_9epabyty.jpg

When the slides done and I get it fully assembled I'll post some more pictures. This stuff is tough as nails. We shall see how it stands up to everyday carry. So far for three hours of prep and application I'm pleased. And the stuff only cost me $16 for both colors.

Last edited:
Youre either a genius or thats the stupidiest thing ive ever heard lol. It looks great tho, nice gun. Just dont know if i would have tested it on a kimber. You may have only 4 fingers, but you got some brass stones! I have a saiga reciever i think im gonna try this on. Thanks!

Youre either a genius or thats the stupidiest thing ive ever heard lol. It looks great tho, nice gun. Just dont know if i would have tested it on a kimber. You may have only 4 fingers, but you got some brass stones! I have a saiga reciever i think im gonna try this on. Thanks!

Well its a ceramic coating just like ceracoat. If it will hold up against gas and oil as it says then it's some tough stuff. We shall see how it holds up to everyday carry in my hybrid holster and my sticky holster.

My next project is going to be this Nasty model 60 marlin I picked up. My dad did a para he had with this same stuff. He said you couldn't scratch it with a nail after it was cured. Only time will tell. But if it holds up I got some great ideas to use this stuff on lol

Im definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread! That looks awesome tho! Just a kimber?! Haha
i saw a 300 llama on here i would have issue testin this with haha. But looks like you have figured out a way much cheaper than ceracoating.

What do you do to cure it?

Back
Top Bottom