• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Vht flame proof. (cerakote replacement)

how is ur finish holdin up? i bought 2 cans and wanna do my barrels and was wondering how urs was lasting?
Its doing OK. Prep work is key. There are a few chips where I didn't prep good. But over all its far better than duracote but not as tough as cerakote. It's easy to use and a hell of a lot cheaper
How thick is it when it is applied? Tolerances?
It all depends on how much you use. I only used three or four coats. I'd say it's between cerakote and duracote thickness wise.

heck just do your own cerakote.. not rocket science really

you need a finish spray gun and an air compressor 30-40 PSI

then you need a way to heat the items.. I built my own heat box using aluminum sheeted foam panels( HD or Lowes) for insulation and a $9 HF heat gun a grill thermometer works for monitoring heat.

then something to soak the part in with acetone.. 4' piece of gutter with end caps works fine(HD)

then you'll need a blasting cabinet with 120 or 100 grit AO. this is the most expensive part of the whole deal. $100 for the cabinet( HF or TS) and 40-50 for the AO

if the cost seems like a lot get with some friends and split it..

once you have everything you can do as many firearms as you like

you get what you pay for... believe me

just saying

heck just do your own cerakote.. not rocket science really

you need a finish spray gun and an air compressor 30-40 PSI

then you need a way to heat the items.. I built my own heat box using aluminum sheeted foam panels( HD or Lowes) for insulation and a $9 HF heat gun a grill thermometer works for monitoring heat.

then something to soak the part in with acetone.. 4' piece of gutter with end caps works fine(HD)

then you'll need a blasting cabinet with 120 or 100 grit AO. this is the most expensive part of the whole deal. $100 for the cabinet( HF or TS) and 40-50 for the AO

if the cost seems like a lot get with some friends and split it..

once you have everything you can do as many firearms as you like

you get what you pay for... believe me

just saying
Although it might be fun...
Harbor Freight
Air compressor =$62.99
Cheap detail spraygun = $12.99
Blast cabinet = $119
Yard sale oven =$25
Miscelleanous =$50

+ Cerakote paint???

I would just pay a Cerakote applicator for 1-5 guns and still be ahead. Ooopppsss I already have.

Back
Top Bottom