• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Vht flame proof. (cerakote replacement)

Mine is holding up good. I followed your lead; sanded, sanded, sanded, degreased, degreased, degreased-painted. I do not carry this particular gun but have done some "scratch" tests and it seems to be holding up well. I would much rather have this than a s****Y ceracoke job. At least you can sand this off and start over. I have a pistol with a s****Y ceracoke job. Trust me, $8-10 bucks for a can of this stuff is well worth it. Taking your chances with all of the ceracoke "experts" out there these days is your own choice. As for me, the guy that did my SA Range Officer, should be shot with it.

Mine is holding up good. I followed your lead; sanded, sanded, sanded, degreased, degreased, degreased-painted. I do not carry this particular gun but have done some "scratch" tests and it seems to be holding up well. I would much rather have this than a s****Y ceracoke job. At least you can sand this off and start over. I have a pistol with a s****Y ceracoke job. Trust me, $8-10 bucks for a can of this stuff is well worth it. Taking your chances with all of the ceracoke "experts" out there these days is your own choice. As for me, the guy that did my SA Range Officer, should be shot with it.

Lol yeah I'm not going to pay $125+ to some one to do what I can do for $20. It just doesn't make sense. This stuff works great you just have to prep perfect. I think the same applies to cerakote. I had a rock Island compact done last year and I was furious with how ****ty it looked. It looked like place spray paint and was way to thin. So I am with you this is my go to coating of choice. I may blue my slide and then do the silver on the aluminum frame.

sorry i haven't posted any pics of the ga bulldogs shoty im doing. Im kinda at a halt, i slightly bent the mag tube when taking it off and now i have to get a new one. turns out a pipe wrench is not the suggested method of removal. so ive ordered an new one and decided to wait on painting the rest of the gun till it arrives but i have everything else prepped up good so ill i have to do when the mag tube arrives is prep it then spry spray spray and bake bake bake.

easy thing to do on Cerakote is find a Certified Cerakote applicator( see their web site)

we have done our own for years and learned a ton about application through the help of their technicians..

most screwed up applications are simply put on too thick

while VHT is pretty tough stuff ( used it for years on headers) ...it won't compare to properly applied Cerakote.

but this most likely is better than Duracoat for toughness and does give you the flexibility to sand it off if you don't like it

easy thing to do on Cerakote is find a Certified Cerakote applicator( see their web site)

we have done our own for years and learned a ton about application through the help of their technicians..

most screwed up applications are simply put on too thick

while VHT is pretty tough stuff ( used it for years on headers) ...it won't compare to properly applied Cerakote.

but this most likely is better than Duracoat for toughness and does give you the flexibility to sand it off if you don't like it

Should the Vht be put on pretty thin just laying it on a few coats? I know the cerakote is better but I can't justify $125-$175 to do something I can do for $25. I'm thinking about buying some cerakote and trying it myself. However I don't have a blaster to clean everything up. Vht is very tough to sand at least in my experience.

Don't do the cerakote in an oven you plan on eating from. And yes cerakote has to be blasted prepped degreased and gassed before coating. We offer cerakote through the shops I contract smith for. And like ram said these so called "experts" working out of their basements relying on YouTube with no formal training or an FFL for smith work get a hold of your gun and mess it up and your left out to dry. (Why people accept this crap work is beyond me I'd demand my money back and money to fix their mistakes or buy me a new gun) I have to fix more half assed jobs than I'd like to. Right now working on a glock 34 and a desert eagle 44mag that have been rendered inoperable due to someone's shoddy cerakote work. Find someone that knows what their doing in your area. We guarantee all of our work for craftsmanship and defects on our part to the original owner for the life do the gun and we are also insured. So if it's because of our work your covered now if you drop your gun and chip it that's on you. Haven't had a single return yet with many satisfied return customers.

Now the VHT is great for someone that enjoys doing their own work that doesn't mind redoing it every now and then as eventually it will need replacement. I've done a couple of my cheap woods guns in it because I know I'll beat them up. But holds up very well for what it is. It's all in the prep work for how long the finish will last and out come. In the end cerakote will hold up better but for working on a budget and not wanting to dump the amount of money into the tools needed for cerakote it is a great way to finish a firearm. I'm the end cerakote is the ultimate coating but don't get joe schmoes basement shop to do it for you and expect a quality job.

Back
Top Bottom